Can atoms reach absolute zero energy and what happens then?

• Thread starter Mu naught
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary: Forgot about "big crunch" and "big rip" theories - if the universe is expanding and always radiating energy in all directions eventually it has to lose all it's energy... (at least in my mind)So it seems that no matter what way you slice it, we're living on borrowed time... what a strange thing for such an elegant universe that it seems to be built into it's structure that it can't last forever...
Mu naught
If you placed an atom in an empty universe that was completely dark and cold, would it eventually radiate away all its energy until it had zero KE?

If so, what would happen to an atom with zero energy? In this sense, are atoms inherently unstable systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mu naught said:
If you placed an atom in an empty universe that was completely dark and cold, would it eventually radiate away all its energy until it had zero KE?If so, what would happen to an atom with zero energy?

KE is a relative concept. A single atom with no motion relative to anything else has no KE.

However, I think you've touched on something profound. An isolated atom would have no constraints on its position or velocity and thus would cease to have a discrete value for either. The atom would smear out across space, potentially without limit. Interestingly, this is the same thing that happens to atoms cooled to (almost) absolute zero (Bose-Einstein condensate).

Mu naught said:
In this sense, are atoms inherently unstable systems?
Unstable is another way of saying they're not the permanent solid little particles we're used to thinking of them as.

DaveC426913 said:
KE is a relative concept. A single atom with no motion relative to anything else has no KE.

However, I think you've touched on something profound. An isolated atom would have no constraints on its position or velocity and thus would cease to have a discrete value for either. The atom would smear out across space, potentially without limit. Interestingly, this is the same thing that happens to atoms cooled to (almost) absolute zero (Bose-Einstein condensate).

Unstable is another way of saying they're not the permanent solid little particles we're used to thinking of them as.

I was going to say that I presumed when you said it would cease to have a discrete value, that it was because with no outside observer it would be equally likely to appear at any point in the universe. The bold text, however, indicates to me that this is incorrect. Please explain.

Rebound said:
I was going to say that I presumed when you said it would cease to have a discrete value, that it was because with no outside observer it would be equally likely to appear at any point in the universe. The bold text, however, indicates to me that this is incorrect. Please explain.
When an atom approaches absolute zero, its velocity approaches zero. As per HUP, if its velocity is well-defined, its position becomes poorly-defined. Atoms near 0K really do smear out.

When you say "equally likely to appear at any point in the universe", that is the same thing as saying it is essentially at any point in the universe (i.e. when you go to observe it, it's there). i.e. it has smeared out across the universe.

They are two sides of the same coin.

DaveC426913 said:
When an atom approaches absolute zero, its velocity approaches zero. As per HUP, if its velocity is well-defined, its position becomes poorly-defined. Atoms near 0K really do smear out.

When you say "equally likely to appear at any point in the universe", that is the same thing as saying it is essentially at any point in the universe (i.e. when you go to observe it, it's there). i.e. it has smeared out across the universe.

Cool. Thanks.

DaveC426913 said:

Even though this is just a "thought experiment" in reality, eventually the entire universe will cool off will it not?

Forget about "big crunch" and "big rip" theories - if the universe is expanding and always radiating energy in all directions eventually it has to lose all it's energy... (at least in my mind)

So it seems that no matter what way you slice it, we're living on borrowed time... what a strange thing for such an elegant universe that it seems to be built into it's structure that it can't last forever...

Mu naught said:
Even though this is just a "thought experiment" in reality, eventually the entire universe will cool off will it not?

Well, it will never lose the heat, its just that
a] it will be spread out over an ever-increasing volume, so its average temperature will approach - but never reach - zero.
b] the heat will be evenly distributed.

DaveC426913 said:
b] the heat will be evenly distributed.

If we say that universe is fixed size, this would require some kind of mirror or something at the 'edge' of the Universe?

Sakha said:
If we say that universe is fixed size, this would require some kind of mirror or something at the 'edge' of the Universe?

No.10chars

Sakha said:

Show me the end of a circular line or edge of the surface of a ball.

DaveC426913 said:
An isolated atom would have no constraints on its position or velocity and thus would cease to have a discrete value for either. The atom would smear out across space, potentially without limit. Interestingly, this is the same thing that happens to atoms cooled to (almost) absolute zero (Bose-Einstein condensate).
QUOTE]

Can you explain this? Why would the atom smear out across space?

Drakkith said:
Can you explain this? Why would the atom smear out across space?
No I can't. That's just the way QM is.

DaveC426913 said:

I cannot agree reading this thread. QM is a theory, nothing more. It is has been tested under the condition that we have a universe with many particles and energy. To follow that the eigenstates of such a single atom allow to be expanded in space in infinity would imply that QM is founded on an interaction in the universe with the interaction of other materia.

QM is more or less a theory of single particles, interacting if at all in a simple case. It needs linearity from the beginning.
It is not okay to talk about a universe with one atom. You should not forget that we expect the universe to be more or less 4 dimensional, where we have those dimensions because we have more than one single atom.

Jens

DaveC426913 said:

Actually, I thought that I did in my first post.

jensel said:
I cannot agree reading this thread. QM is a theory, nothing more. It is has been tested under the condition that we have a universe with many particles and energy. To follow that the eigenstates of such a single atom allow to be expanded in space in infinity would imply that QM is founded on an interaction in the universe with the interaction of other materia.

QM is more or less a theory of single particles, interacting if at all in a simple case. It needs linearity from the beginning.
It is not okay to talk about a universe with one atom. You should not forget that we expect the universe to be more or less 4 dimensional, where we have those dimensions because we have more than one single atom.

Jens

You have no sense of fun.

Rebound said:
You have no sense of fun.

This is not fair. You don't know me in person and I am not an native english speaker. This forum is about physics and I try to answer in way which is only about the subject. It has nothing to do with me in person.

jensel said:
This is not fair. You don't know me in person and I am not an native english speaker. This forum is about physics and I try to answer in way which is only about the subject. It has nothing to do with me in person.

The opening post posed a hypothetical question, and you said, "It's not ok to talk about a universe with one atom."

To me, that's not fun. Clearly, there's not much sense in trying to derive anything useful from it, but so what?

We cannot say that the energy will become absolute zero...because the atom will lose its energy till the temperature on both sides is equal

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of a chemical element, consisting of a nucleus (containing protons and neutrons) surrounded by electrons.

2. How many atoms are in a molecule?

The number of atoms in a molecule can vary depending on the specific molecule. For example, a water molecule (H2O) contains 3 atoms - 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom.

3. What are the different parts of an atom?

An atom is made up of three main parts: protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons and neutrons make up the nucleus, while electrons orbit around the nucleus.

4. Can atoms be created or destroyed?

Atoms cannot be created or destroyed by any chemical means. They can only be rearranged in chemical reactions. However, atoms can be split or combined in nuclear reactions.

5. How do atoms bond with each other?

Atoms can bond with each other through various types of chemical bonding, such as covalent bonding, ionic bonding, and metallic bonding. These bonds are formed when atoms share, gain, or lose electrons to achieve a stable outer electron shell.