How to make wigner-seitz cell(BCC, FCC)-using paper

• Thread starter omnific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, a Wigner-Seitz cell is a geometric representation of the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice. It is the smallest unit cell that contains one lattice point and is used to understand the symmetry and properties of a crystal lattice. To make a Wigner-Seitz cell using paper, one can follow the steps of drawing a square, connecting the opposite corners, folding the paper, and cutting along the folded lines. The main difference between BCC and FCC Wigner-Seitz cells is the number of lattice points they contain, and they have various real-life applications in materials science and engineering. While a Wigner-Seitz cell can be made for any crystal lattice using paper, the shape and symmetry may vary depending on the type of lattice
omnific
I am sorry I don't speak English well.

I have to make wigner-seitz cell-BCC, FCC- by using paper likewise regular solids origami(?).

So I need development figure(planer figure).
(ex :
icosahedron_bottom.gif
)

If you have it, please send me.

Please forgive me my English skills TT

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to figure out the shape of the W-S unit cell. Do you know how to do that?

1. What materials do I need to make a Wigner-Seitz cell using paper?

You will need a sheet of paper, a ruler, a protractor, a pencil, and scissors.

2. How do I determine the size of the Wigner-Seitz cell for a BCC structure?

To determine the size, you will need to calculate the lattice constant of the BCC structure. This can be done using the formula a = 4*r/√3, where a is the lattice constant and r is the atomic radius. Then, using a ruler, draw a square with the calculated length on the paper to represent the unit cell.

3. How do I construct a Wigner-Seitz cell for an FCC structure?

To construct a Wigner-Seitz cell for an FCC structure, start by drawing a cube with a side length equal to the lattice constant. Then, using a protractor, draw a diagonal line connecting opposite corners of the cube. This will create four smaller triangles inside the cube. Cut along the diagonal line and fold each triangle inward to create a pyramid shape. This will be the Wigner-Seitz cell for the FCC structure.

4. How do I ensure accuracy when making a Wigner-Seitz cell with paper?

To ensure accuracy, make sure to use a sharp pencil and a ruler with precise measurements. Take your time when drawing and cutting the paper to create clean and precise lines. It may also be helpful to double-check your calculations and measurements before making any cuts.

5. Can I use this method to create Wigner-Seitz cells for other crystal structures?

Yes, this method can be used to create Wigner-Seitz cells for other crystal structures such as HCP, diamond, and simple cubic. However, the calculations and construction process may vary depending on the structure. It is important to research and understand the specific structure before attempting to create a Wigner-Seitz cell for it.