Why Does Inhomogeneous Media Saturate More Slowly in Laser Technology?

In summary, the gain coefficient in homogeneously broadened media is dependent on (1-I/I_s)^{-1}, while in inhomogeneously broadened media it is dependent on (1-I/I_s)^{-1/2}. This is due to the difference in center frequency and overlap between the resonator mode and homogeneous linewidth for each emitter, resulting in a frequency-dependent gain saturation.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello All,

I'm going through some lecture notes from a course on Lasers, and have come across something that is confusing me.

In homogeneously broadened media, the gain coefficient depends on [itex](1-I/I_s)^{-1}[/itex].

where [itex]I_s[/itex] is the saturation intensity.

However, in an homogeneously broadened media (doppler broadened in this case), the gain coefficient depends on [itex](1-I/I_s)^{-1/2}[/itex].

Now, I can follow the math and see the square root appear when we integrate over individual distributions, but I'm confused as to the meaning of the square root factor.

Obviously, it means that inhomogeneous media saturate more slowly, but I'm not sure why that is?

Does anyone have any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
The reduction in the gain coefficient is mostly governed by the overlap of the linewidth of your resonator mode and the homogeneous linewidths of your transitions. For homogeneously broadened media the center frequency and linewidth is the same for every emitter of your medium. Therefore the gain per emitter will also be reduced equally for each emitter.

For inhomogeneously broadened media, the homogeneous linewidth will also be the same for each emitter, but the center frequency will differ for each emitter. As a consequence also the overlap between the resonator mode and the homogeneous linewidth will be different for each emitter. Therefore, the gain saturation will become frequency dependent. Those emitters which homogeneous linewidth shows large overlap with the resonator mode will saturate first, leading to a hole in the gain spectrum at this position. Those with a different center frequency and less overlap with the resonator mode will not saturate as fast, leading to the slower gain saturation of the ensemble of emitters.

Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks a lot!

What is laser saturation intensity?

Laser saturation intensity refers to the point at which a laser's output power reaches its maximum level and can no longer be increased, even if more energy is input into the system.

How is laser saturation intensity measured?

Laser saturation intensity is typically measured by gradually increasing the input power to a laser until the output power reaches a plateau. The input power at this point is considered the saturation intensity.

What factors can affect laser saturation intensity?

Laser saturation intensity can be affected by several factors, including the type of laser, the material being lased, and the temperature and environment in which the laser is operating.

Why is laser saturation intensity important in laser experiments?

Knowing the laser saturation intensity is important in laser experiments because it allows researchers to determine the maximum output power of the laser and ensure that it is operating at its most efficient level.

Can laser saturation intensity be altered?

Yes, laser saturation intensity can be altered by changing the parameters of the laser, such as the input power or the type of material being lased. However, it is ultimately limited by the physical properties of the laser and the material being lased.