Help - Anderson localization

• Thread starter weiss_tal
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the expression for localization length in 1D Anderson localization when energies are randomly distributed. The approach involves using the second order green function treatment and approximating the average of the square of the green function. The resulting expression for the localization length is \frac{W^2}{96V^2}. A suggested reference for further understanding is the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.
weiss_tal
Hello everyone,

I'm a graduate student and I am doing a simple work on 1D Anderson localization. I need to derive the expression for the localization length when the energies are randomly distributed in the region of [tex]\left[ \frac{W}{2},-\frac{W}{2} \right] [/tex]. I know the localization length in the limit [tex]W<<V[/tex], where [tex]V[/tex] are the of diagonal elements of the hamiltonian, is [tex]\frac{W^2}{96V^2}[/tex]. this expression can be derived while using the second order green function treatment. Since quantum mechanics is not my main studies, I didn't understand the derivation from the green function (I have only found it in Thouless book - Ill condensed matter). If someone know how to derive it, It will help me a lot, or at least know a good reference which explains it simply.
forgive me for my bad English.
thanks,
Tal Weiss.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Tal Weiss,

Thank you for sharing your work on 1D Anderson localization. It's an interesting topic and I'm glad to see that you are delving into it as a graduate student.

To derive the expression for the localization length in the case of randomly distributed energies, we can use the second order green function treatment. This approach involves calculating the average of the square of the green function, which is given by:

\langle G^2(E) \rangle = \frac{1}{N} \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{1}{(E-E_i)^2}

where N is the number of sites and E_i are the random energies in the range of \left[ \frac{W}{2},-\frac{W}{2} \right]. In the limit of W<<V, where V are the off-diagonal elements of the Hamiltonian, we can approximate the average as:

\langle G^2(E) \rangle \approx \frac{1}{N} \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{1}{E_i^2}

Using this approximation, we can then calculate the localization length as:

\xi = \frac{1}{2} \frac{d \ln \langle G^2(E) \rangle}{dE} \Bigg|_{E=0}

Substituting the average expression and solving for the derivative, we get:

\xi = \frac{W^2}{96V^2}

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the derivation. As for a good reference, you can refer to the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, which has a detailed explanation of the second order green function treatment. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

What is Anderson localization?

Anderson localization is a phenomenon in which the wave function of a particle in a disordered medium becomes localized, leading to a suppression of transport and diffusion. This was first proposed by physicist Philip W. Anderson in 1958.

What causes Anderson localization?

Anderson localization is caused by the interference of multiple waves in a disordered medium. This leads to the formation of localized states that are unable to propagate through the medium, resulting in the suppression of transport.

How does Anderson localization affect materials?

Anderson localization can have significant impacts on the properties of materials. For example, it can lead to a decrease in electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as a change in optical properties. It can also affect the mechanical properties of materials such as stiffness and strength.

What are some real-world applications of Anderson localization?

Anderson localization has been studied in various fields, including optics, condensed matter physics, and quantum mechanics. It has potential applications in areas such as energy harvesting, quantum computing, and photovoltaic devices.

Can Anderson localization be controlled or manipulated?

There have been efforts to control or manipulate Anderson localization for specific applications. For example, researchers have explored using artificial disorder to control the localization of light waves, which could have implications for optical communications and imaging.