Could you gain A LOT of weight by drinking LOTS of deuterium water?

In summary, there are serious health risks associated with replacing all the water in your body with deuterium oxide.
Simfish
Gold Member
You could gain a lot of weight and still have very little body fat! Of course, you'd need to do it for a very long period of time (for the D2O to replace all the H2O in your body). But would there be health risks? haha.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I like the question and I think the full answer has to be very complicated.Something that comes immediately to mind is that as the D2O builds up the viscosity and other properties of blood and other body fluids will be adversely affected,and the heart ,kidneys and other organs will not be able to function as effectively and start to shut down.

The average atomic weight for H2O is about 18, and the average for D2O is about 20. You would add roughly 11% to the water weight you replace. I don't know if that qualifies as "A LOT."

The added weight would probably increase blood pressure, but it's hard to say if the viscosity would be affected very much. The chemistry shouldn't change either, since you wouldn't be changing the number of electrons.

The permeability of water and deuterium oxide through aquaporin-1, the main water channel in the body, is about equal:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2154366/

It's odd that deutrium inhibits cell division- I wonder if the effect isn't D2O, but rather the D ion replaces H in proteins etc. (hydrogen-deuterium exchange), altering the activities- I couldn't find a clear study,tho.

http://www.terraformers.org.au/deuterium.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
My bet is that due to the isotopic effect speeds of reactions change, and they are getting "out of sync" - while situation in cells is always dynamic, they are in some sort of steady state or dynamic equilibrium. Deuterium disrupts this equilibrium, concentration of some things goes up, of some goes down - that's a serious problem.

1. Can drinking deuterium water cause significant weight gain?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that drinking deuterium water, also known as heavy water, can cause significant weight gain. Deuterium water is simply normal water with a higher concentration of the hydrogen isotope deuterium, and it does not contain any additional calories or nutrients that could contribute to weight gain.

2. Is deuterium water a weight loss or weight gain supplement?

Deuterium water is not intended or marketed as a weight loss or weight gain supplement. It is primarily used for scientific research and industrial purposes, and its effects on weight have not been extensively studied.

3. Can drinking deuterium water increase muscle mass or fat storage?

There is no evidence to suggest that deuterium water has any effect on muscle mass or fat storage. Drinking excessive amounts of any type of water can lead to water retention and temporary weight gain, but this is not specific to deuterium water.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with drinking deuterium water?

Deuterium water is generally considered safe for consumption, as it is chemically identical to regular water. However, drinking large quantities of any type of water can lead to electrolyte imbalances and potential health risks. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before significantly increasing your water intake.

5. Can deuterium water be used as a weight loss tool?

There is no evidence to suggest that deuterium water can be used as a weight loss tool. While some studies have shown potential health benefits of deuterium-depleted water, these effects have not been linked to weight loss. It is important to maintain a balanced and healthy diet and exercise routine for sustainable weight loss.