Surface Energy Calculation: 8-24(πr^2S)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of pushing air into a soap bubble to double its radius and the work done in this process. The surface tension of the soap solution is given as S and the correct answer for the work done is 24(pie)(r)^2(S). The conversation also mentions the relationship between surface energy and surface tension, and the error in the attempted solution due to not considering the surface tension on both sides of the bubble.
vissh
hiii :)

Homework Statement

(Q)Air is pushed into a soap bubble of radius r to double its radius.If the surface tension of the soap solution is S, the work done in the process is
<a>8(pie)(r)2(S) <b>12(pie)(r)2(S) <c>16(pie)(r)2(S)
<d>24(pie)(r)2(S)

Homework Equations

Surface energy of a liquid = (S)(A)
where S is surface tension and A is the area of the surface of liquid.

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the bubble as system.
Isn't it like this:-
>Work done in process i.e. work done by external agent = change in Potential energy = change in surface energy(Uf - Ui)
> Ui = 4(pie)(r)2(S)
> Uf = 4(pie)(2r)2(S) = 16(pie)(r)2(S)]
> Uf - Ui = 12(pie)(r)2(S) = Work done we require
But the answer is <d>
Can any1 help me where i am getting wrong :)
Thanks for reading ^.^

Physics news on Phys.org
For a bubble surface tension is on its two sides i.e. 2S :smile:

lol . I missed that xD Thanks abdul :) Got it ^.^

1. What is surface energy calculation?

Surface energy calculation is a scientific method used to determine the amount of energy required to create a certain surface area. It is often used in materials science and chemistry to study the properties of surfaces.

2. How is surface energy calculated?

Surface energy is calculated by multiplying the surface tension of a material by the surface area. The formula for surface energy is 8-24(πr^2S), where r is the radius and S is the surface tension.

3. What is the significance of surface energy calculation?

Surface energy calculation is important because it helps scientists understand the physical and chemical properties of surfaces. It is also used in various industries, such as in the production of coatings and adhesives.

4. What factors can affect surface energy?

Surface energy can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, surface roughness, and chemical composition. Additionally, the presence of impurities or contaminants on the surface can also impact the surface energy.

5. How is surface energy used in research?

Surface energy calculation is used in various research fields, such as in the study of surface tension, interfacial phenomena, and surface modifications. It is also utilized in the development of new materials and coatings with specific surface properties.