Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here?

• Thread starter zoestorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
I know it's not where you study, but I was giving an example of how to identify them.In summary, the speaker is a girl who is looking to find a nerdy guy but is having trouble finding one. She loves intelligent and eccentric individuals who are into things like experiments, USB powered rockets, and LAN parties. She is seeking advice on how to meet a nerdy guy and is open to suggestions on where they may hang out. Some suggestions include universities and places where people wear lab coats, but the speaker also mentions that she is already studying physics and chemistry and has not been able to find a nerdy guy there. She is also open to asking her peers for advice on where to find a nerdy

FlexGunship said:
I'm pretty darn nerdy! I like trivia contests, and building things, and I'm an engineer and my bookshelf is full of Brian Greene and Michio Kaku books!

EDIT: Yes, that is a periodic table shower curtain in my condo.

IMG_20110104_185516.jpg

The shower curtain is a nice touch, but what is all that other junk laying on the bathroom floor? Is that a cooking pot?!

And your towels look black! Don't you ever wash them?!

Physics news on Phys.org

BobG said:
The shower curtain is a nice touch, but what is all that other junk laying on the bathroom floor? Is that a cooking pot?!

And your towels look black! Don't you ever wash them?!

Blue towels, dirty laundry and a bin!

I think nerdy guys hang out in nerdy places. I myself like to go to sciency places like the Maker Fair or science museums. I also do a lot of alternative energy based workshops and classes at and around school. These kind of events always end up being sausage fests, so as the saying goes: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd".
would be willing to whisper the laws of thermodynamics into my ear whilst we were partaking in "special" relations

HAHA! I've actually done this! Second Law FTW!PS: The answer to the resistor grid question in the comic several posts above is 0.5 ohms.

My advice: look around the aerospace engineering departments. (For, uh, no particular reason whatsoever...:wink:)

Topher925 said:
PS: The answer to the resistor grid question in the comic several posts above is 0.5 ohms.

No.

(We've had this cartoon posted before a little over three years ago.)

Topher925 said:
These kind of events always end up being sausage fests, so as the saying goes: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd".

Same here: when I've gone to tech meetups I've been one of maybe 3 girls, but some of the guys are actually hot so it's not all odd goods. Meetup New Zealand, though my experience has been with meetup NY (which has huge tech scene).

Oh, and Flex, you are a cutie.

Oh, and some company was giving out slide rules as recruitment swag 2 or 3 years back, so I've got a dinky one in a drawer somewhere. Try crashing yours, or ask your friends to. Or your relatives may have one: my grammy has one from her stint as an engineer.

Last edited:

Topher925 said:
HAHA! I've actually done this! Second Law FTW!

You've got to be kidding. That's just weird!

cristo said:

I agree - I mean, the second law of thermodynamics :confused:? Now if it had been Newton's first law...a body in motion...yeah, I can see how that can work...

Nah, really? And how about all those bodies that remain in a state of rest?

BobG said:
And, believe it or not, you can sometimes find nerds in a store aisle searching for razors or shaving cream.

Did I ever tell you you're a hippy? In the last couple weeks, at least? :rofl:

(But, he's a hippy nerd and that's an important distinction.)
Hmm - I've been called a hippy, but not a nerd. In high school, I did Explorers for several years since the post was hosted by Exxon's Research and Development Center. I think most of the guys would have qualified as nerds. They were mostly guys interested in math, science and computer, and not very atheletic.

I participated in sports in high school, played football and soccer, but not on the varsity team. I did weight lifting with the equipment the football team used. And I ran, and rode a bike. At 16, I could have easily lifted my father over my head.

And I had an interest in math and science, particularly astrophysics, nuclear and particle physics.

At university I played intramural sports, ran long distance, worked as a plumber and later as an iron worker.

While I had friends, I was pretty much a loner, and did my own thing.

I'm not exactly sure about what qualifies one to be a nerd these days.

I think there are plenty of athletic types who are also proficient in math and science. Several of the guys with whom I work are into motorcycles and sports cars, outdoor activities (like climbing, trekking, hiking, surfing, . . . ), and one guy is a black belt in Shaolin Kempo.

cristo said:

Yeah I know, I thought so too, but whatever bakes your cake. Its certainly better than what a lot of the other stuff people are into these days though.
No.

Whoops, you're right. 0.5Ohms is the resistance across one resistor. I didn't notice the two red dots.

Vanadium 50 said:
Astronuc, pentode, schmentode. What one really needs is a Nixie Tube watch.

nwrd-viewing-tn.jpg

Only $395.

Oooh... what a girl really needs is a guy that will give her a gift like that. :!)

Slide rules are a dime a dozen. I've already got a few slide rules of my own, and I'll inherit my deceased father's collection when my mom finally parts with it.

physics girl phd said:
Oooh... what a girl really needs is a guy that will give her a gift like that.

Valentine's Day is coming. Feel free to print out the picture and leave it where the hubby will find it.

Aww, I wish this thread wouldn't die. Zoe PM'd me like 3 days ago and I never got back to her. Sigh... bad timing.

Vanadium 50 said:
Valentine's Day is coming. Feel free to print out the picture and leave it where the hubby will find it.

Phuh. That didn't work last Xmas. Instead "the guys" got me (aka. themselves) a stray cat.

<h2>1. Where can I find a nerd?</h2><p>The best place to find a nerd is at a university or college. Many nerds are students or professors in fields such as science, math, engineering, or computer science.</p><h2>2. Are there any specific events or gatherings where nerds tend to gather?</h2><p>Yes, there are many events and gatherings that attract nerds. These include conventions, hackathons, gaming tournaments, science fairs, and meetups for specific interests such as coding or comic books.</p><h2>3. Do nerds only hang out with other nerds?</h2><p>No, nerds can have a diverse group of friends and interests. While they may have a strong interest in certain topics, they can also enjoy spending time with people who have different hobbies and passions.</p><h2>4. Are there any online communities or forums for nerds to connect with each other?</h2><p>Yes, there are many online communities and forums specifically for nerds to connect, share their interests, and engage in discussions. Some popular ones include Reddit, Quora, and Discord.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific qualities or characteristics that make someone a nerd?</h2><p>The term "nerd" is subjective and can mean different things to different people. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intelligent and passionate about a specific topic or interest. They may also have a strong interest in learning and exploring new ideas.</p>

1. Where can I find a nerd?

The best place to find a nerd is at a university or college. Many nerds are students or professors in fields such as science, math, engineering, or computer science.

2. Are there any specific events or gatherings where nerds tend to gather?

Yes, there are many events and gatherings that attract nerds. These include conventions, hackathons, gaming tournaments, science fairs, and meetups for specific interests such as coding or comic books.

3. Do nerds only hang out with other nerds?

No, nerds can have a diverse group of friends and interests. While they may have a strong interest in certain topics, they can also enjoy spending time with people who have different hobbies and passions.

4. Are there any online communities or forums for nerds to connect with each other?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums specifically for nerds to connect, share their interests, and engage in discussions. Some popular ones include Reddit, Quora, and Discord.

5. Are there any specific qualities or characteristics that make someone a nerd?

The term "nerd" is subjective and can mean different things to different people. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intelligent and passionate about a specific topic or interest. They may also have a strong interest in learning and exploring new ideas.