Examples of decreased entropy .

• Thread starter Nick666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses natural non-living processes where entropy decreases locally. Examples include crystallization, evaporation, and refrigeration. However, it is noted that these examples may not be good representations of decreasing entropy as the overall system still experiences an increase in entropy. Instead, a more accurate example would be any system that loses heat, such as the sun heating up a patch of earth.
Nick666
Could someone please give me some examples of natural non-living processes where entropy decreases locally ?

Now I know all natural processes eventually lead to increased entropy, but from what I've read and understood so far, entropy can be decreased locally.

An example was "water can (locally) flow uphill when it encounters a rock in a rapids" . Any more examples ?

Science news on Phys.org
You mean with a refrigerator ? I would prefer some examples that don't include man-made stuff, I know about the classic refrigerator or air conditioning example, but I'm having a debate with a creationist, and I don't want to give him examples that include man-made stuff .

Crystallization.

Evaporation, which cools the remaining liquid.

Nick666 said:
An example was "water can (locally) flow uphill when it encounters a rock in a rapids" . Any more examples ?

Actually, this is not a good example of decreasing entropy.
The entropy remains constant here, that is, the kinetic energy is reversibly converted into potential energy.

What you'd be looking for is any system, that looses heat, where the applicable formula is dS ≥ dQ/T.

In the wikipedia example we have a warm room with a glass of melting ice.
The entropy of the glass increases, the entropy of the room decreases, and the entropy of the combined system increases (dS = dQ / 273 K - dQ / 293 K).

Similarly the sun heating up a patch of earth, makes the entropy of the sun decrease, the entropy of the Earth increase, and the entropy of the solar system increase.

Put otherwise, any heat source has decreasing entropy. [edit]This includes a refrigerator :smile:[/edit].

What is entropy and how does it relate to decreased entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. Decreased entropy occurs when there is a decrease in this disorder or randomness.

Can you give an example of decreased entropy in nature?

One example of decreased entropy in nature is the process of crystallization, where a liquid becomes a solid and the particles become more organized and less random.

How does decreased entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy of a closed system cannot decrease. Decreased entropy is a violation of this law and is only possible in open systems where energy is constantly being added.

What are some other examples of decreased entropy besides crystallization?

Other examples of decreased entropy include the formation of snowflakes, the growth of plants from seeds, and the formation of chemical bonds in a chemical reaction.

Why is decreased entropy important in understanding the behavior of systems?

Decreased entropy allows for the formation of more complex and organized structures in nature. Understanding this process can help us better understand and predict the behavior of systems, both natural and man-made.