Transportation in plants-Xylem

• Thread starter nicholaschean
  • Start date
In summary, the stem of an herbaceous plant was cut while immersed in red ink solution as a precaution for an experiment. This was likely done to prevent the formation of air pockets and ensure proper water absorption by the plant.
nicholaschean

Homework Statement

The stem of the herbaceous plant was cut while immersed under the red ink solution in the beaker before it was left to stand in the red ink solution, as a precaution while setting up this experiment. Suggest a reason behind it.
Untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted answer was that due to the absence of roots, this precaution was taken to ensure that the plant can absorb the red ink.

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be cut and THEN put into the ink solution. Questions is - why it wasn't done this way, but instead the stem was cut immersed.

nicholaschean said:
The stem of the herbaceous plant was cut while immersed under the red ink solution in the beaker before it was left to stand in the red ink solution, as a precaution while setting up this experiment. Suggest a reason behind it.
My attempted answer was that due to the absence of roots, this precaution was taken to ensure that the plant can absorb the red ink.

Firstly I would suggest that you post such questions in the homework section.

I think that this is done to prevent the formation of air pockets which reduce water uptake. However I am not 100% sure.

What is the function of xylem in plants?

Xylem is responsible for transporting water and dissolved nutrients from the roots to the rest of the plant. It also provides structural support for the plant.

What is the structure of xylem?

Xylem is made up of several different cell types including vessel elements, tracheids, and parenchyma cells. These cells are arranged in a long, continuous tube-like structure.

How does water move through xylem?

Water moves through xylem via a process called transpiration. This is when water evaporates from the leaves, creating a negative pressure that pulls water up through the xylem.

What is the role of xylem in plant growth?

Xylem plays a crucial role in plant growth by providing the necessary water and nutrients for photosynthesis and other metabolic processes. It also helps to maintain the turgidity of plant cells, which is important for cell expansion and maintaining plant structure.

How does xylem adapt to different environmental conditions?

Xylem adapts to different environmental conditions by changing the size and structure of its cells. For example, in times of drought, xylem cells may become narrower to reduce water loss, while in wet conditions, they may widen to increase water flow. Additionally, some plants have specialized adaptations in their xylem, such as the presence of air pockets or thickened cell walls, to help prevent water loss in dry environments.