Electrical Data Communications

In summary, the best way to view data sent by a modem through a telephone line is either as a changing voltage in terms of time or as moving electrical signals, depending on the intent to model the phone line as a transmission line. Modem data is encoded on a carrier with modulation in frequency and amplitude. The phone connection is usually digitized and reassembled near the destination, and it is better to think of it in terms of current rather than voltage. Theories on computer networking may provide contradicting or incomplete explanations.
ramollari
What is the best way of viewing data sent by a modem through a telephone line: as a changing voltage in terms of time or as moving electrical signals? In my Networking course exchanged bits, bytes, and packets, are portrayed as waves (current changing with distance) that propagate through the wires.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ramollari said:
What is the best way of viewing data sent by a modem through a telephone line: as a changing voltage in terms of time or as moving electrical signals? In my Networking course exchanged bits, bytes, and packets, are portrayed as waves (of changing current) that propagate through the wires.

You can do either one. I assume the intent is to model the phone line as a transmission line.

Well, are the electrical signals 'waves'? Do they propagate from one point to another in a long cable or set the voltage throughout its length?

ramollari said:
Well, are the electrical signals 'waves'? Do they propagate from one point to another in a long cable or set the voltage throughout its length?
Modem data is encoded on a carrier. The modulation is both in frequency and amplitude. Old modems just used frequency modulation.

As far as your phone connection being a "long" cable, most likely not.
Often it is digitized then reassembled near the destination.

Also it is probably better to think of a phone connection in terms of current rather than voltage.

Yeah now I have a better view of how it works. But I've been confused a lot about the electrical details and I bet that most theorists on computer networking provide contradictory or incomplete explanations, which they don't understand very well themselves.

1. What is Electrical Data Communications?

Electrical Data Communications is the transfer of data or information between two or more devices using electrical signals. This can include various methods such as wired or wireless connections, cables, and other transmission media.

2. How does Electrical Data Communications work?

Electrical Data Communications works by converting digital data into electrical signals, which are then transmitted through a medium such as wires or cables. The receiving device then decodes the electrical signals back into digital data, allowing for the transfer of information between devices.

3. What are the advantages of Electrical Data Communications?

The advantages of Electrical Data Communications include fast and efficient data transfer, the ability to transmit large amounts of data, and the ability to transmit data over long distances. It also allows for the integration of various devices and systems, making communication and data sharing easier.

4. What are the different types of Electrical Data Communications?

The different types of Electrical Data Communications include wired connections such as Ethernet and USB, as well as wireless connections such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Other methods include fiber optic cables, satellite communications, and cellular networks.

5. What are some common applications of Electrical Data Communications?

Electrical Data Communications has a wide range of applications, including internet and telecommunications, home and office networks, industrial automation, and smart devices such as smartphones and smart home systems. It is also used in various industries such as healthcare, transportation, and energy management.