Question about balanced wye - delta connection

In summary, to find the line currents when there is a line impedance between a wye source and delta load, you must first convert the delta load to wye. Then, calculate the line currents and go back to delta. This will help solve any confusion or difficulty in finding the line currents and phase currents in this type of problem.
mingming
i am confused on how to find the line currents when there is a line impedance in between the wye source and delta load... is it wrong to directly add the line impedance and the delta load without converting first the delta load to wye...? is there a way that i can find the line currents and phase currents...i know i cannot directly find the phase current on the delta load since there is a line impedance...plese help i am really having trouble on how to solve this kind of problem. Thank you in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
Simplest way to solve it ? convert delta (D) load to wye (Y) and then calculate line currents. Then go back to delta.

What is a balanced wye-delta connection?

A balanced wye-delta connection is a type of electrical connection used in three-phase power systems. It consists of three voltage sources connected in a triangular formation, with one side connected to a common point or neutral. This configuration allows for the distribution of power to three-phase loads in a balanced manner.

How does a balanced wye-delta connection work?

In a balanced wye-delta connection, the three voltage sources are connected in a specific way to maintain equal voltage and current values in each phase. The wye connection provides a path for the flow of current, while the delta connection allows for the balancing of the voltage between phases. This results in a more efficient distribution of power to three-phase loads.

What are the advantages of a balanced wye-delta connection?

One of the main advantages of a balanced wye-delta connection is its ability to handle both single-phase and three-phase loads without the need for additional wiring. It also helps to distribute power evenly among the three phases, reducing the risk of overloading and increasing the efficiency of the system.

What are the limitations of a balanced wye-delta connection?

One limitation of a balanced wye-delta connection is that it can only handle balanced loads. If there is an imbalance in the loads or voltages of the three phases, it can lead to voltage and current fluctuations. Additionally, the complexity of the connection may make it difficult to troubleshoot and maintain.

What are some practical applications of a balanced wye-delta connection?

Balanced wye-delta connections are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to power large three-phase loads, such as motors and heavy machinery. They are also used in power distribution systems for residential and commercial buildings, as well as in renewable energy systems like wind and solar power generation.