Managing High-Power Motors: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Warren brought online 6 motors at 700 HP each. He said it was a serious pucker factor. Next week he is responsible for bringing online six more motors.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A personal comment on a job that has my shorts more than just a little tight... we're talking about a serious pucker factor here. Next week I am responsible for bringing online six motors at 700 HP each. That's 3.1 Megawatts! :eek:

Okay how does that go? Green to start and red to stop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just think about it this way: it's only three-thousandths of a gigawatt!

- Warren

chroot said:
Just think about it this way: it's only three-thousandths of a gigawatt!

- Warren
Whewww. That sounds much better! :uhh:

And I thought this was about you starting your own business :approve:

Already got that. :biggrin:

What don't you have?

:p

dekoi said:
What don't you have?

:p
He doesn't have deer ticks! You can put your clothes back on now Ivan. :tongue2:

Tsu - thanks for the tip!

btw, I re-stocked your freezer with broccoli. :biggrin:

Evo said:
btw, I re-stocked your freezer with broccoli. :biggrin:

Oh good! I gave away all of my frozen broccoli to trick-or-treaters and now we have Christmas coming.

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh good! I gave away all of my frozen broccoli to trick-or-treaters and now we have Christmas coming.
I know, I kept thinking of the poor little tykes waking up Christmas morning, running over to their stockings and finding NO FROZEN BROCCOLI in them.

What's Christmas to a child if there's no broccoli in their stocking? :cry: :cry:

(although canned tuna is another must)

Evo said:
(although canned tuna is another must)

That's for birthdays, you silly mentor you. :rolleyes:

NO! WAIT! The frozen broccoli is to be given to the Christmas CAROLERS! The tuna's for the cats (and Ivan's birthday gift). :biggrin:

p.s.
Thanx for the broccoli Sis!

Tsunami said:
NO! WAIT! The frozen broccoli is to be given to the Christmas CAROLERS! The tuna's for the cats (and Ivan's birthday gift). :biggrin:

p.s.
Thanx for the broccoli Sis!

Don't forget to dip the broccoli in ketchup to give it the proper complement of holiday colors. :approve:

Well, darn!

blast.jpg

I hope that's not indicative of how things went.

Last edited:
Well, there used to be this nice little town...

Really things went pretty well. I still can't get over the power going through that place. One leg of the three phase going to each motor consists of something like ten, one inch+ cables! Also, strangely enough, modern drives are so efficient that 480 volt motors were used to replace 3600 volt motors. Historically the I-squared-R losses demand a higher voltage, but the ability to control motor speeds and the ability to idle yield greater gains than the losses incurred due to the increased current.

When we were ready I got a real rise from the crew when I told them how to start the motors; that I didn't want to be anywhere near the place when started. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [its always my job to make the final call to start]. I saw about twenty eyes get real, real big.

Last edited:

What is the mission of "One of my biggest start-ups"?

The mission of "One of my biggest start-ups" is to provide innovative solutions to everyday problems through technology.

What sets "One of my biggest start-ups" apart from other companies?

"One of my biggest start-ups" stands out for its unique approach to problem-solving and its commitment to constantly evolving and adapting to the changing market.

What are the main products/services offered by "One of my biggest start-ups"?

"One of my biggest start-ups" offers a wide range of products and services including software development, data analytics, and consulting services for businesses.

How has "One of my biggest start-ups" grown since its inception?

"One of my biggest start-ups" has experienced significant growth since its inception, expanding its team and client base, and launching new products and services.

How does "One of my biggest start-ups" prioritize ethical and sustainable practices?

"One of my biggest start-ups" places a strong emphasis on ethical and sustainable practices in all aspects of its operations, from sourcing materials to hiring practices and community involvement.