Is EVERYTHING affected by gravity?

• Thread starter Runner 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between energy and mass and how all objects with energy also have a form of mass. The concept of gravity is also mentioned, with the understanding that all mass is affected by and causes gravity. The Eddington experiment is referenced as confirmation of this idea. The conversation concludes by questioning if there is something obvious missing from this understanding.
Runner 1
Generalizing somewhat on my other post, I have to wonder -- if everything observable has an energy associated with it, then it is a form of mass as well, right? And all mass is affected (and causes) gravity, right? (And I don't mean rest mass -- I mean total mass.)

Am I missing something stupid/obvious here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is yes. In the case of photons this was confirmed by the 1919 Eddington experiment.

If one views gravity as a curvature in space-time then obviously everything which lives in space-time (i.e. everything) is affected by gravity. If this were not true, there would be a violation of the equivalence principle.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract one another. It is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

2. How does gravity affect everyday objects?

Gravity affects everyday objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This is what causes objects to fall when dropped and keeps us grounded on the Earth's surface. Gravity also affects the motion of objects in space, keeping planets in orbit around the sun.

3. Is everything affected by gravity?

Yes, everything with mass is affected by gravity. This includes all objects on Earth, as well as objects in space such as planets, stars, and galaxies. Even light, which has no mass, is affected by gravity.

4. Does the strength of gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the strength of gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, because the planet Jupiter is much larger and more massive than Earth, its gravity is about 2.5 times stronger than Earth's.

5. Can gravity be blocked or canceled out?

Gravity cannot be blocked or canceled out by any known means. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as the upward force from the ground that keeps us from falling through it. In order to fully block or cancel out gravity, we would need a force that is equal and opposite to it, which is currently not possible.