Integral with Cutoff: Understand the Logarithmic Terms

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a specific integral involving a cutoff value "a" to prevent divergence. The individual is struggling to understand why the resulting expression involves an "a" when it was not present in the original integral. They suggest using a "by hand" approach of setting the integrand to zero when x-y<a. The conversation also mentions that this is from Srednicki ch82 and that "a" represents lattice spacing. The individual then proposes a method to solve the integral, but notes that it is not quite accurate.
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm struggling with how to see that

[itex]\int^{L}_{0}\int^{L}_{0} \frac{dxdy}{(x-y)^2}=2L/a-2\ln{(L/a)}+\mathcal{O}(1) [/itex]

'a' here is a cutoff to avoid the divergence that occurs when x=y, I presume we just set the integrand to zero when x-y<a, I think.

Can anyone see why the above holds?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you written makes no sense. If there was no "a" in the integral, there cannot be an "a" in the result.

Well it's something the author does 'by hand' I guess, i.e. if x-y<a then set the integrand to zero, type approach. It's from Srednicki ch82 for some context and 'a' is lattice spacing. Since obviously the left hand side of the above integral is divergent really.

Based on some similar integrals I've seen in this subject I was thinking the method could work something like: integrand only depends on difference (x-y) thus might as well fix y at a given point say 0, then the y integral just contributes L and you get [itex] L \int^{L}_0 1/(x-0)^2 [/itex], but now set the integrand to zero when x-y<a => [itex] L \int^{L}_a 1/(x)^2 =L[-1/L+1/a]=L/a-1[/itex]

which is sort of getting there but not quite..

1. What is the purpose of using a cutoff in an integral with logarithmic terms?

The cutoff is used to limit the range of integration for the logarithmic terms. This is done to prevent the integral from diverging, as some logarithmic functions have infinite values for certain inputs.

2. What is the significance of the constant "C" in the integral with cutoff?

The constant "C" represents the integration constant and is necessary for finding the specific solution to the integral. It can be determined by applying initial conditions or boundary conditions to the integral.

3. How does the cutoff affect the overall value of the integral?

The cutoff can significantly affect the value of the integral, as it limits the range of integration. Without a cutoff, the integral may have an infinite value, but with a cutoff, the integral will have a finite value.

4. Can the cutoff be applied to any integral with logarithmic terms?

Yes, the cutoff can be applied to any integral with logarithmic terms to ensure convergence. However, the specific cutoff value may vary depending on the function being integrated.

5. Is it possible to have a negative cutoff value in an integral with logarithmic terms?

No, a negative cutoff value does not make sense in the context of an integral. The cutoff represents the lower limit of integration, and it is not possible to have a negative lower limit.