Motor Principle - Direction of Rotation

In summary, the conversation is about the direction of rotation of a loop of wire in an increasing magnetic field. Lenz's law states that the induced current in the loop will create its own magnetic field to counteract the change in external magnetic field. The direction of the current affects the direction of the turning moment but not the magnitude. Once the loop starts to move, Lenz's law will limit the acceleration. The direction of the current is determined by Fleming's Left hand rule which gives the direction of the force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field. The direction of the current is also influenced by Faraday's law, which states that an emf will be induced in the wire equal to the rate of change of the
fonz
Evening,

I'm trying to work out the direction a loop of wire will rotate about an axis in an increasing magnetic field.

From what I understand by Lenz's law the induced current in the loop will create it's own magnetic field as to counteract the change in external magnetic field. I'm struggling by Fleming's left hand rule however to determine a direction of rotation.

I have attached an image, if somebody could clear this up this will definitely put me at rest.

Motor%2520Principle.jpg

Cheers
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mixing up a lot of physics ideas.
This is about the FORCE on a current carying conductor in a magnetic field.
Fleming's Left hand rule gives the direction of the force.
Your diagram does not show the direction of the current in the coil of wire!
You need to know that

technician said:
You need to know that

The direction of the current just affects the direction of the turning moment,not the magnitude.

Lenz's law will only come into play once the coil starts to move and will limit the acceleration.

technician said:
You need to know that

Sorry perhaps I should elaborate,

In this example what I am saying is the magnetic field shown in blue is increasing in the direction shown. Therefore an emf will be induced in the wire equal to the rate of change of this magnetic flux (Faraday's law). This emf will produce a current in the direction according to Lenz's law.

The induced current will obviously create it's own magnetic field as such to oppose the changing magnetic field (Lenz's law). It is the direction of which I am struggling to ascertain. So this loop is now carrying current and so should experience a force equal to the Lorentz Force (except the current is changing).

I am thinking about the AC induction motor where in this example the wire loop is the stator and the N-S pole is coil wound in the stator.

Thanks
Dan

My apologies fonz! I mis-read. Your first sentence. I thought you were looking at a coil with current flowing in it.

The way your diagram is drawn there is nof flux linking (going through) the loop and therefore the increasing magnetic field will not induce an emf.
If the loop is at 90 degrees to the field then the maximum induced emf (and therefore current) will be induced.
The emf is given by Faraday's law = rate of change of magnetic flux linkage and the direction of the emf and resulting current will try to prevent the change (increasing magnetic flux) occurring.

1. How does the motor principle determine the direction of rotation?

The motor principle states that the direction of rotation is determined by the interaction between the magnetic field and the current carrying conductors. The direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field will determine the direction of the resulting force, which causes the rotation in a specific direction.

2. Why is the direction of rotation important in motor design?

The direction of rotation is important in motor design because it determines the direction of the output torque. This can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the motor in performing its intended function. It also allows for proper installation and operation of the motor in various applications.

3. How do you determine the direction of rotation in a motor?

The direction of rotation can be determined by applying the right hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow and point your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The resulting force will be in the direction of your palm, which indicates the direction of rotation.

4. Can the direction of rotation be changed in a motor?

Yes, the direction of rotation can be changed by reversing either the direction of the current or the direction of the magnetic field. This can be achieved by switching the connections of the motor's power supply or by physically changing the position of the magnets.

5. How does the motor principle apply to different types of motors?

The motor principle applies to all types of motors, including DC, AC, and synchronous motors. The specific design and components may vary, but the underlying principles of the interaction between the magnetic field and current carrying conductors to produce rotation remain the same.