Differentiation and Integration questions

In summary: So,in summary, the integral of (1/(x+3)^3 with the lower boundary 2 and upper 5 equal 39/3200) is given by \int_{2}^{5} (\frac{1}{x+3})^{3} dx=\int_{2}^{5} (x+3)^{-3} dx 2. The integral of (1/(x+3)^3 with the lower boundary 2 and upper 5 equal 39/3200) is given by \int_{2}^{5} (\frac{1}{x+3})^{3} du=\int_{2}^{5} (u
Sombra
1. Why does the derivitive of y= (cos^2(x) + sin^2(x))^6 equal 0? I don't see how it turns out that way.

2. Why does the integral of (1/(x+3)^3 with the lower boundary 2 and upper 5 equal 39/3200?

3. Finally, I don't understand how to integrate: [sq rt(ln x)/x] because I can't figure out how to make it work with the F'(x)/F(x) rule.

Thanks, I just need to understand these 3 before the exam tomorrow!

Physics news on Phys.org
First two are really easy:
1.[tex] (\cos^{2}x+\sin^{2}x)^{6}=1^{6}=1[/tex]
[tex](1)'=0[/tex]

2.[tex] \int_{2}^{5} (\frac{1}{x+3})^{3} dx=\int_{2}^{5} (x+3)^{-3} dx[/tex]

Make substitution
[tex] x+3\rightarrow u[/tex]
The new limits of integration are [tex] 2\rightarrow 5[/tex] & [tex]5\rightarrow 8[/tex]

The new integral is
[tex]\int_{5}^{8} u^{-3} du [/tex]
which i hope you can show it yields [itex] \frac{39}{3200} [/itex]

3.I didn't understand.Is it the integral:
[tex] \int \sqrt{\frac{\ln x}{x}} dx [/tex] ?
If so,lemme think about it a little more.

Daniel.

PS.For number 1) i used the fundamental identity for the circular trigonometric functions.I hope it's not a stranger to u. :tongue2:

Yeah, for number 1, I understand, I just didn't think that sin^2 + cos^2 was 1. For the second one, how do you know that the limits change and what they change to. And for the last, the denominator is not under the radical sign.

If it's
[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{\ln x}}{x} dx [/tex]
,then it's an easy one.
U know that (i hope :tongue2: )
[tex] d(\ln x)=\frac{dx}{x} [/tex]
It follows immediately that your integral can be written
[tex] \int \sqrt{\ln x} d(\ln x) [/tex]
,which can be easily computed making the substitution
[tex] \ln x\rightarrow u [/tex]

Daniel.

1. What do you know about the expression [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x[/itex]? (Some kind of identity maybe?)

2. Just integrate. Post what you have so far. Notice that [itex]\frac{1}{(x+3)^3}=(x+3)^{-3}[/itex]

3. What's the derivative of [itex](\ln x)^n[/itex] for any n?.

EDIT: Darn, beaten by 3 posts.

Last edited:
The limits of integration need to change as u make change of the integration variable.You integrate after "x" which goes from "2" to "5".U define "u=:x+3" and integrate after "u".It's natural that the limits of integration (initially after "x") need to change,and they do according to your definition.
Think the definition as a function of "x":
[tex] u(x)=:x+3 [/tex]
Then:
[tex] u(2)=:2+3=5;u(5)=:5+3=8 [/tex]

You know that the definite integral for one variable functions has a geometric meaning:they are the area under the graph of the integrated function,area bordered by the graph,Ox axis and two vertical straight lines x=x_{1} & x=x_{2},where x_{1} & x_{2} are the two limits of integration.
Think of a change of variable for integration as a reparametrization for the function integrated:
[tex] y(x)\rightarrow y(u(x)) [/tex]
So,the new function will depend explictely of the new parameter "u".And so the limits of integration change naturally.Instead of x_{1} it will be u(x_{1}) and the same for x_{2};

Changes of variables of integration make integrals easier,but there are,as i showed,geometric foundation behind it.Not only algebraic.

Daniel.

1. What is differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are two fundamental concepts in calculus. Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integration is the reverse process of finding the total change of a function over a given interval.

2. Why are differentiation and integration important?

These concepts are important because they allow us to solve complex problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding areas under curves. They are also essential in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

The main difference between differentiation and integration is the direction of the process. Differentiation involves finding the rate of change at a specific point, while integration involves finding the total change over a given interval.

4. How do you differentiate and integrate a function?

To differentiate a function, we use the derivative formula, which involves finding the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches zero. To integrate a function, we use the integration formula, which involves finding the antiderivative of the function.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration have numerous real-world applications, such as determining the velocity and acceleration of objects in physics, finding the optimal production level in economics, and calculating the area under a curve in engineering and science. They are also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in statistics to find the probability distribution function.