Measuring output voltage for rectifier with filter

In summary: However, if you have a design in which the output is biased, then the grounding of the output can introduce noise on the output.
shaikss
I need your help in understanding the concept.
Actually, I am trying to understand the grounding concept here:

Attached is the snapshot:
Hi Folks,

I need your help in understanding the concept of how to measure the output voltage.

1. Initially, I tried to monitor the voltage between the drain of PMOS(Vh) and drain of NMOS(Vl). Since there is no cap and no resistor, I observed ripple.
Second attachment is the output of the same.

2. Then I connected a cap in between net 'vh' and net 'vl'. Then I observed a drop down in the voltage as shown in third file.
3. Out of my curiosity and to cross-check how grounding impacts: I have conducted below experiment:

I connected one end of cap of 1pf and res of 100K to Vh and the other end of cap and res are grounded. I measured the output between Vh and Vl. As expected, I observed the output as in case 1.

4. I grounded Vl (which shouldn't be case) and grounded one end of cap and res to ground while the other end is being connected to Vh. I observed output across resistor. Fourth file is attached for its output. In this attached file, there are two plots. The plot with lower voltage is the one I have observed when I measured the voltage across resistor when it is grounded and Vl is not grounded.

5. Later on, from my experiment 2, I realized that the voltage is drooping down. So, I increased the time scale and then checked how its actually going on. I observed some interesting results. Fifth file is attached.

Can you explain me why it is happening so?

If I go for N-stage rectifier, the Vl of first stage is always grounded.
So, is it good practice to do so.

Please clarify my querie

Attachments

• Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 420
  • output_Vh_vl_input_800mV.png
    output_Vh_vl_input_800mV.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 453
  • output_Vh_vl_input_800mV_with_1p_cap.png
    output_Vh_vl_input_800mV_with_1p_cap.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 459
Engineering news on Phys.org
Most obvious answer would be the output(s) is where no bias signal is connected.

1. How do I measure the output voltage for a rectifier with filter?

To measure the output voltage of a rectifier with filter, you will need a voltmeter. Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to the positive output of the rectifier and the negative lead to the negative output. Make sure the voltmeter is set to measure AC voltage. The reading on the voltmeter will be the output voltage of the rectifier with filter.

2. What is the purpose of using a filter in a rectifier circuit?

A filter is used in a rectifier circuit to smooth out the pulsating DC output of the rectifier. This results in a more stable and constant DC voltage, which is necessary for many electronic devices to function properly.

3. Can I use any type of filter in a rectifier circuit?

No, the type of filter used in a rectifier circuit depends on the application and desired output. The most common types of filters used are capacitor filters, inductor filters, and RC filters. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice will depend on the specific requirements of the circuit.

4. How does the output voltage of a rectifier with filter differ from the input voltage?

The output voltage of a rectifier with filter will be lower than the input voltage. This is due to the voltage drops across the components in the circuit, such as the diodes and the filter. The amount of voltage drop will depend on the type and size of the components used.

5. Can I measure the output voltage of a rectifier with filter while the circuit is in operation?

Yes, you can measure the output voltage of a rectifier with filter while the circuit is in operation. However, it is important to take proper safety precautions and make sure you are using the correct settings on your voltmeter. It is recommended to measure the voltage while the circuit is not under heavy load to get a more accurate reading.