How to calculate g (geosync orbit)

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, communications satellites are placed in geosynchronous orbits at an altitude of 3.58e7 m in order to stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. The period of these orbits is 24 hours, and the velocity and radial acceleration can be calculated using the equations v=2∏r/T and a=(v^2)/r. It is possible that there was a numerical error in the calculation of g in the attempted solution provided.
GreatEscapist

Homework Statement

Communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58e7 m.

Homework Equations

v=2∏r/T

a=(v^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

In the previous problem, I was asked to calculate the period of the satellite, which is obviously 24 hours.

I figure that g is another form of radial acceleration (both point to the center of earth).

Therefore, I calculated v using the period equation. Once I got v I used the radial acceleration equation to arrive at my answer for g.

It's wrong though- can anyone explain why and set me on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. It must be some numeric mistake that you made.

Did you add on the radius of the Earth to the orbit?

1. How do you calculate the geosynchronous orbit?

The geosynchronous orbit can be calculated using the formula: g = (GM/R^2)^1/2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the distance from the center of the Earth to the satellite.

2. What is the gravitational constant (G)?

The gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

3. How is the mass of the Earth (M) determined in the calculation?

The mass of the Earth (M) is a well-known value that can be found in scientific references. It is approximately 5.97 x 10^24 kg.

4. What is the distance (R) used in the equation?

The distance (R) used in the equation is the distance from the center of the Earth to the satellite. This can be measured using the radius of the Earth (approximately 6,371 kilometers) and the altitude of the satellite from the Earth's surface.

5. Is the geosynchronous orbit the same as the geostationary orbit?

No, the geosynchronous orbit and the geostationary orbit are two different types of orbits. The geosynchronous orbit has an orbital period that is exactly equal to the Earth's rotation period, while the geostationary orbit is a specific type of geosynchronous orbit that is located directly above the equator and remains fixed in the same position relative to the Earth's surface.