Calculate degree of dissociation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the degree of dissociation and Kp for the reaction N2O4(g) ⇌ 2NO2(g) at 100°C and 1 atm. The equation used is α = (Dt - Do)/Do, where Dt and Do are the theoretical and observed vapour density at equilibrium. The molar mass of N2O4 is 92. However, the posted equations do not provide enough information to solve the problem accurately.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Vapour density of [itex]N_2O_4[/itex] which dissociated according to the equation
[itex]N_2O_4(g) \Leftrightarrow 2NO_2(g)[/itex] is 25.67 at 100°C and a pressure of 1 atm. Calculate the degree of dissociation and [itex]K_p[/itex] for the reaction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \alpha = \frac{D_t-D_o}{D_o} [/itex]

[itex]D_t = \frac{92}{2}[/itex]
Plugging in the values does not yield desired answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate on what you are doing. What are Dt and D0? What is 92?

Is that the whole question? Either I am missing something or it can't be solved as given.

Borek said:
Please elaborate on what you are doing. What are Dt and D0? What is 92?

Is that the whole question? Either I am missing something or it can't be solved as given.

I suppose the OP directly posted the equations without showing how he/she has got it. If i remember correctly, Dt and Do are the theoretical and observed vapour density of a mixture at equilibrium. 92 is the molar mass of N2O4.

Pranav-Arora said:
I suppose the OP directly posted the equations without showing how he/she has got it. If i remember correctly, Dt and Do are the theoretical and observed vapour density of a mixture at equilibrium. 92 is the molar mass of N2O4.

Yes that's right. But the answer which I'm getting is wrong.

First, let's define some terms. The degree of dissociation, denoted by alpha (α), is defined as the fraction of molecules that have dissociated in a reaction. In this case, it represents the fraction of N2O4 molecules that have dissociated into 2NO2 molecules. The vapour density (D) is defined as the mass of a gas in a given volume compared to the mass of an equal volume of air at the same temperature and pressure. It is related to the molar mass (M) of a gas by the equation D = M/RT, where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

To calculate the degree of dissociation, we can use the equation given in the problem:
α = (D_t - D_o)/D_o
where D_t is the total vapour density of the mixture and D_o is the initial vapour density of N2O4. However, the values given in the problem are not the vapour densities, but rather the vapour density ratios (D_t/D_o). To find the vapour densities, we can use the equation D = M/RT and the given temperature and pressure. For N2O4, the molar mass is 92 g/mol. Plugging in these values, we get:
D_t = (92 g/mol)/(0.0821 L*atm/mol*K * 373 K) = 2.623 g/L
D_o = (92 g/mol)/(0.0821 L*atm/mol*K * 373 K) = 2.623 g/L
Note that the initial and total vapour densities are the same, since we are starting with pure N2O4.

Plugging these values into the equation for alpha, we get:
α = (2.623 g/L - 2.623 g/L)/2.623 g/L = 0
This means that at 100°C and 1 atm, there is no dissociation of N2O4 into 2NO2. This makes sense, since the reaction is endothermic and would require energy to break the bonds in N2O4.

To calculate the equilibrium constant (Kp) for the reaction, we can use the equation:
Kp = (P_NO2)^2/P_N2O4
where P_NO2 and P_N2O4 are the partial pressures of NO2 and N2

1. What is the formula for calculating degree of dissociation?

The formula for calculating degree of dissociation is α = (number of dissociated particles / initial number of particles) x 100%.

2. How is degree of dissociation related to equilibrium constant?

Degree of dissociation is directly related to equilibrium constant, as they both measure the extent of a reaction. Higher degree of dissociation corresponds to a higher equilibrium constant, indicating a more complete reaction.

3. Can degree of dissociation be greater than 100%?

No, degree of dissociation cannot be greater than 100%. It is a percentage and represents the fraction of molecules that have dissociated, so it cannot exceed 100%.

4. How does temperature affect degree of dissociation?

Increasing temperature generally increases the degree of dissociation, as it provides more energy for molecules to break apart. However, this may not always be the case as some reactions are endothermic and may have a reverse effect.

5. What factors can influence the degree of dissociation?

The degree of dissociation can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, concentration, and the nature of the substances involved. Catalysts can also affect the degree of dissociation by lowering the activation energy of the reaction.