Thin film interference - Minimum thickness

In summary, the problem involves using thin film interference to determine the minimum thickness of a film with refractive index 1.2 that will minimize the reflection of light with a wavelength of 480 nm. By using the formula 2μd=(n+1/2)λ and setting n=0, a thickness of 10^-7 m can be determined.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A lens (##\mu##=1.5) is coated with a thin film of refractive index 1.2 in order to reduce the reflection from the surface at ##\lambda=480 nm##. Find the minimum thickness of the film which will minimize the intensity of reflected. [Assume near normal incidence]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to begin with this. It looks to me that this is related to thin film interference but I have never dealt with three different mediums while solving problems related to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
It looks to me that this is related to thin film interference but I have never dealt with three different mediums while solving problems related to this.
It's just thin film interference. All you need to worry about are the reflections from the top and bottom surfaces of the film.

Doc Al said:
It's just thin film interference. All you need to worry about are the reflections from the top and bottom surfaces of the film.

Is it simply a plug and chug question then? :tongue2:

I get the right answer using the formula ##2\mu d=(n+1/2)\lambda## and putting ##n=0##. I get ##d=10^{-7} m##. Thanks Doc Al! :smile:

What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film at different phases, resulting in constructive or destructive interference.

What is the minimum thickness for thin film interference?

The minimum thickness for thin film interference depends on the wavelength of the incident light and the refractive index of the film. It can be calculated using the equation: t = (m + 1/2)λ/(2n), where t is the minimum thickness, m is the interference order, λ is the wavelength of light, and n is the refractive index of the film.

How does the color of a thin film change with thickness?

The color of a thin film changes with thickness due to the interference of light waves. As the thickness of the film increases, the interference pattern shifts and different colors are reflected. This phenomenon is known as thin film interference.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in thin films?

Constructive interference occurs when the light waves reflected from the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film are in phase, resulting in a brighter color. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase, resulting in a darker color.

What are some real-world applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference has many practical applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses, thin film solar cells, and optical filters. It is also used in the production of colorful iridescent materials, like soap bubbles and certain types of coatings on cars or phones.