Surface Energy of Microspheres: Help Needed!

In summary, during a discussion with colleagues, it was brought up that the surface energy of a microsphere with a diameter of 5μm may be different from that of a 30μm microsphere. According to the Hamaker constant, the surface energy of the larger sphere may decrease compared to the smaller one. However, the manufacturing process of the microspheres may also play a role in the surface energy. Clarification was also given that the focus is on the surface energy within the microsphere, not between microspheres. Further input and clarification were requested from fellow colleagues.
ttimboohh
LS,

During discussion with colleagues on a paper we hit a problem which we could not solve. Could someone help us out. Is the If surface energy/stress of a microsphere with a diameter of 5μm larger or smaller compared to the one of a 30μm microsphere. According to the Hamaker constant I guess the surface energy of the larger sphere decreases compared to the smaller sphere.
To clarify I am looking for the surface energy within the microsphere and not between microspheres.

I hope you can help as I got a bit lost in my thoughts

kind regards

Tim Spitters (PhD-candidate in tissue regeneration)

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface energy of a solid is highly variable, because a solid can support shear stress. I expect the manufacturing process of the microspheres is more important than the size.

Thanks Andy, I will take it into consideration in my discussion!

1. What is surface energy and why is it important in microspheres?

Surface energy is the energy required to create a new surface on a material. In microspheres, surface energy is important because it affects the stability, wettability, and adhesion of the particles, which in turn can impact their properties and applications.

2. How is surface energy measured for microspheres?

Surface energy can be measured using techniques such as contact angle measurements and surface tension measurements. These methods involve placing a droplet of liquid on the microsphere surface and measuring the angle or force at the interface to determine the surface energy.

3. Can the surface energy of microspheres be modified?

Yes, the surface energy of microspheres can be modified through various methods such as surface treatments, coatings, and functionalization. These modifications can alter the surface chemistry and morphology of the particles, thereby changing their surface energy.

4. How does surface energy affect the dispersion of microspheres in a liquid medium?

Surface energy plays a crucial role in the dispersion of microspheres in a liquid medium. If the surface energy of the microspheres is higher than that of the liquid, the particles will agglomerate and settle. On the other hand, if the surface energy is lower, the particles will disperse and remain suspended in the liquid.

5. What are some applications of microspheres where surface energy is a critical factor?

Surface energy is a critical factor in various applications of microspheres, including drug delivery, cosmetics, coatings, and paints. For example, in drug delivery, the surface energy of microspheres can affect their release rate and bioavailability. In coatings and paints, it can impact the adhesion and durability of the particles on different surfaces.