Good Reference Books for Mechanics, Nuclear, Optics & More

In summary, the person is looking to downsize their book collection and is seeking recommendations for a set of books that cover various topics including mechanics, nuclear, optics, solid state, basic lab electronics, astronomy, quantum, and mathematical underpinnings. They have found some options on Google and Amazon, such as the CRC physics & chemistry book, Horowitz and Hill for electronics, Addison Wesley science handbook, Schaums outline of mathematical formulas, and Arfken Weber book. They are asking for additional suggestions.
rigetFrog
I'm looking to reduce the amount of books I have, but I'd like to get a few references references books to replace them.
I'd like a set of books that encompasses everything from mechanics, nuclear, optics, and solid state, to ,basic lab electronics, astronomy, quantum, and their mathematical underpinnings.

What do you guys recommend?

So far, google and amazon have indicated some books by Springer

1) CRC physics & chemistry book

2) Horowitz and Hill for electronics

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What makes a good reference book for mechanics?

A good reference book for mechanics should have clear and concise explanations of fundamental concepts, as well as detailed examples and problems to reinforce understanding. It should also include relevant diagrams and illustrations to aid in visualizing concepts.

2. Are there any recommended reference books specifically for nuclear mechanics?

Yes, some recommended reference books for nuclear mechanics include "Nuclear Reactor Theory" by George I. Bell and Samuel Glasstone, "Nuclear Reactor Engineering: Reactor Systems Engineering" by Samuel Glasstone and Alexander Sesonske, and "Introductory Nuclear Reactor Dynamics" by Karl D. Karsch.

3. What are some important topics that should be covered in a reference book for optics?

A good reference book for optics should cover topics such as light and its properties, geometric optics, wave optics, and modern optics. It should also include discussions on various optical instruments and their applications.

4. Can you recommend a comprehensive reference book for all the mentioned subjects?

Yes, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin covers mechanics in depth, "Introduction to Nuclear Engineering" by John R. Lamarsh and Anthony J. Baratta covers nuclear mechanics, and "Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White covers optics extensively. These books together provide a comprehensive reference for all the mentioned subjects.

5. Are there any online resources that can serve as good reference materials for these subjects?

Yes, there are many online resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera that offer free lectures, tutorials, and practice problems on mechanics, nuclear mechanics, and optics. These can serve as great supplementary reference materials for these subjects.