Looking for a good book on harmonic oscillations

In summary, this conversation suggests that a classic book on waves is F. S. Crawford Jr., Waves, Berkley Physics Course vol. 3, McGraw-Hill (1968), while the best introduction to oscillation and waves is French's "Vibrations and Waves" from the MIT Introductory Physics Course.
amazingAZN
Hi all, I'm in a intro to wave phenomenon class this semester and unfortunately, our textbook is written by the professor and is really not very good at all. So I'm liking for any recommendations on D.E. books that do well with explaining harmonics. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A classic, that is usually easy to find in libraries, is F. S. Crawford Jr., Waves, Berkley Physics Course vol. 3, McGraw-Hill (1968).

DrClaude said:
A classic, that is usually easy to find in libraries, is F. S. Crawford Jr., Waves, Berkley Physics Course vol. 3, McGraw-Hill (1968).

I second that.
But, IMBO, the best introduction to oscillation and waves one could hope for is French's "Vibrations and Waves" from the MIT Introductory Physics Course.

It is IMO more organized than Crawford (a book I love and treasure but not the clearest of them all...).

(EDIT: in my first answer I was sure I had read "French" and not "Crawford"...)

Last edited:
Are you talking about QM or classical mechanics?

When I was an undergraduate, our text was French and I found it totally opaque (it didn't help that the lecturer was atrocious).

I picked it up again last week and found it a model of clarity.

I'm not sure what to conclude from this.

Well, learning is a dynamic and cumulative process. Ever noticed that the best books on a given subject have an alarming tendency to come up after you have studied it on worse textbooks? :) Sometimes what makes a book totally opaque is the fact that the author has forgotten what he did not know the first time he faced the subject. A little thing given for granted here, another little thing given for granted there, and the beginner has lost his path. It is normal for those who have already been exposed to the subject to fill in the minor omissions, and this might be the reason you now find French a model of clarity now.

Moreover, now you are probably better equipped to pick up the references to other fields of study, like optics, EM, control theory, circuit theory, quantum mechanics, that back then appeared just out of the blue.

Sometimes 'less clear' books are needed as intermediary towards the real masterpieces.

Last edited:

1. What is harmonic oscillation?

Harmonic oscillation is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth between two points, passing through a central equilibrium point. It occurs when the restoring force on the object is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. Why is it important to study harmonic oscillations?

Harmonic oscillations are present in many natural phenomena and engineering applications, such as pendulums, springs, and electric circuits. Understanding harmonic oscillations allows us to predict and control the behavior of these systems, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.

3. What are some key concepts to consider when looking for a book on harmonic oscillations?

Some important concepts to look for in a book on harmonic oscillations include the mathematical equations and principles governing harmonic motion, application of harmonic oscillations in real-world systems, and the relationship between harmonic oscillations and other branches of physics such as waves and vibrations.

4. Are there any recommended books on harmonic oscillations for beginners?

Yes, some popular books for beginners include "Harmonic Oscillations: A Modern Introduction" by Stephen Gasiorowicz, "Vibrations and Waves in Physics" by Iain G. Main, and "Fundamentals of Vibrations" by Leonard Meirovitch. These books cover the basics of harmonic oscillations and provide clear explanations and examples.

5. Can I use online resources to supplement my understanding of harmonic oscillations?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as lecture notes, videos, and interactive simulations that can help you better understand harmonic oscillations. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Physclips, and HyperPhysics. However, it is important to always refer to reputable sources and consult with a qualified instructor for accurate information.