Deriving the Volume of a Sphere Using Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation was about deriving an integral using spherical coordinates and determining the corresponding limits. The use of pictures and the derivation of the d phi part were also mentioned. The process of converting from cartesian to spherical coordinates using the Jacobian was suggested to determine the limits.
sssddd
I just need a really good derivation of it using spherical coordinates, like the integral limits.

pictures might help

Physics news on Phys.org
sssddd said:
I just need a really good derivation of it using spherical coordinates, like the integral limits.

pictures might help

[tex]\iiint\limits_E{\rho}^2\,\sin{\phi}\,d\phi\,d\rho\,d\theta\quad E:\left\{0\leq\phi\leq\pi;\quad 0\leq\rho\leq r;\quad 0\leq\theta\leq 2\pi\right\}[/tex]

Last edited:
actually i was more interested in how you derived the d phi(that other angle thing) part

Like which integrant belongs to which. Mathworld doesn't show too much of that, the math part I get but I would like to know which angle belong to which. Since there are 3 sets of integral limits, then there should 3 of them, so which belongs which accoring to the equation cavoy posted

sssddd said:
actually i was more interested in how you derived the d phi(that other angle thing) part

Like which integrant belongs to which. Mathworld doesn't show too much of that, the math part I get but I would like to know which angle belong to which. Since there are 3 sets of integral limits, then there should 3 of them, so which belongs which accoring to the equation cavoy posted

From cartesian to spherical coordinates:

[tex]x=\rho\cos{\phi}\cos{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]y=\rho\cos{\phi}\sin{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]z=\rho\sin{\phi}[/tex]

...then use the Jacobian to get the equivalent of dV in terms of phi, theta, and rho.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere.

How is the formula for volume of a sphere derived?

The formula for volume of a sphere is derived using the method of integration in calculus. The process involves slicing the sphere into infinitely thin disks and integrating their volumes to find the total volume of the sphere.

What is the relationship between the volume of a sphere and its radius?

The volume of a sphere is directly proportional to the cube of its radius. This means that if the radius is doubled, the volume will increase by a factor of 8.

Can the volume of a sphere be negative?

No, the volume of a sphere cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity and therefore cannot have a negative value.

Is there a simpler way to calculate the volume of a sphere?

Yes, there is a simpler formula for finding the volume of a sphere that involves only the radius. This formula is V = (4/3)πr³ and is often used instead of the derivation method in practical applications.