What is the translational speed of a bowling ball encountering a vertical rise?

In summary, the bowling ball encounters a vertical rise on the way back to the ball rack, and finds its translational speed at the top of the rise to be 4.11 m/s.
MKM
A bowling ball encounters a 0.760-m vertical rise on the way back to the ball rack, as the drawing illustrates. Ignore frictional losses and assume that the mass of the ball is distributed uniformly. The translational speed of the ball is 5.64 m/s at the bottom of the rise. Find the translational speed at the top.
I have been working this one for the longest. I thought I was supposed to use the formula v= the square root of 2*gh but I think I am missing something I get 3.13 m/s however this is incorrect I belive.

Attachments

• Translational speed picture.doc
    27 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gain in PE (mgh) is the difference between the KE (0.5mv²) at the bottom of the rise and the KE at the top of the rise.

Is that what you did ?

Use conservation of energy. (Don't forget rotational energy. Assume it rolls without slipping.)

I thought about using the kinematics but I am confused about where to find the mass. SHould I just cancel it out?

Try it and find out. (Maybe you don't need the mass. :wink: )

I think I might have to use the conservation of total mechanical energy and try and find w and I? does that sound right?

That's the idea.

Okay I keep pluging in my numbers for mgh=1/2mvsquared -1/2mvsqaured I get 4.11 and it's wrong am I usign the write formula I am confused about what to get rid of and what I don;t need . I know I don;t need the mass.

As Doc Al pointed out, and I forgot, sorry, you should also include the difference in rotational energy as well.

i'll give you somemore hints. Helps this can help:

K1 + U1 = K2 + U2

where K1 = (1/2)*I*w^2 + (1/2)*m*v^2
the same to K2

for the ball: I = (2/5)*m*r^2

You should choose OGPE at the bottom where the ball first starts (It's just easier ). So U2 = mgh.

Use conservation energy to solve this prob.

Minh T. Le

PS: I got the result for v final = 4.601 m/s. If this is not correct, don't follow my advice HAHAHA ... and sorry.

And don't forget to use the relation between translational and rotational speed.

P.S. I got the same answer.

What is confused translational speed?

Confused translational speed refers to the velocity of an object moving in a straight line, but with varying speed and direction.

What factors can affect confused translational speed?

Confused translational speed can be affected by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. It can also be influenced by the mass and shape of the object.

How is confused translational speed measured?

Confused translational speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h) using tools such as a speedometer or a stopwatch.

What are some real-life examples of confused translational speed?

Examples of confused translational speed can include a car accelerating and decelerating in traffic, a ball being thrown in different directions, or a person walking in a zigzag pattern.

Why is understanding confused translational speed important?

Understanding confused translational speed is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It helps us analyze and predict the motion of objects, and allows us to design and improve technologies and techniques related to movement and speed.