Find Work Done in Thermo Question | Monatomic Gas | Calculation Help

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary: ICEs. In summary, the conversation also touched on finding the work for reversible adiabatic paths and determining the gas was monoatomic by applying the adiabatic condition.
suspenc3

Homework Statement

See Attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

Well to start off I know the gas is monatomic

I can find the work done by finding the area under each curve/line:

[tex]W_{AB} = p_0(2v_0-v_0) = p_0v_0[/tex]
[tex]W_{CD} = (p_0/32)(8v_0-16v_0) = \frac{-p_0v_0}{4}[/tex]

I can't think of how to find the area under the other two curves, I am guessing integration but I don't know how to set it up.

After I find these other to, what do I do?

Thanks

Attachments

• phys2.jpg
    phys2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the attachment yet, but finding the area between two curves is easy. The easiest way to do it is to subtract the area under the lower curve from the area under the upper curve.

If you did it in one integral, you could set up the limits of integration from one curve to the other.

for isentropic expansion and compression in ICEs we use the same principle u used to find the first 2 works.
we use : W= (PoVo-PoVo/4)/(1-k) k=Cp/Cv. for isentropic adiabatic compression or expansion.

How did u know the gas was monoatomic?

eaboujaoudeh said:
for isentropic expansion and compression in ICEs we use the same principle u used to find the first 2 works.
we use : W= (PoVo-PoVo/4)/(1-k) k=Cp/Cv. for isentropic adiabatic compression or expansion.
Where do you get this? It works for BC but not DA

Generally, for reversible adiabatic paths:

(1) [tex]W = K\frac{V_f^{1-\gamma} - V_i^{1-\gamma}}{1-\gamma}[/tex]

where [itex]K = PV^\gamma[/itex]

This is just the integral [itex]\int dW[/itex] where [itex]dW = dU = PdV = KV^{-\gamma}dV [/itex] (dQ=0)

Since for DA [itex]P_f = 32P_i[/itex] and [itex]V_f = V_i/8[/itex] the numerator in (1) is simply:

[tex]P_fV_f - P_iV_i = 32P_iV_i/8 - P_iV_i = 3P_iV_i[/tex]

for BC, [itex]P_f = P_i/32[/itex] and [itex]V_f = 8V_i[/itex] the numerator in (1) is simply:

[tex]P_fV_f - P_iV_i = 8P_iV_i/32 - P_iV_i = -3P_iV_i/4[/tex]

How did u know the gas was monoatomic?

Apply the adiabatic condition [itex]PV^\gamma = constant[/itex] to one of the adiabatic paths and solve for [itex]\gamma[/itex].

AM

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew

1. What is the definition of "Another Thermo Question"?

"Another Thermo Question" refers to a specific question or problem related to thermodynamics, which is the branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

2. How is "Another Thermo Question" different from other thermodynamics questions?

"Another Thermo Question" may be different from other thermodynamics questions in terms of the specific variables, equations, or scenarios involved. However, it is still related to the broader topic of thermodynamics and follows the same underlying principles and laws.

3. What types of problems or concepts are typically covered in "Another Thermo Question"?

"Another Thermo Question" may cover a range of topics, such as heat transfer, thermodynamic cycles, thermodynamic processes, or specific laws and principles of thermodynamics. It may also involve the use of equations and calculations to solve problems.

4. Are there any real-world applications of "Another Thermo Question"?

Yes, "Another Thermo Question" may have real-world applications in various industries, such as power generation, chemical engineering, and refrigeration. Understanding thermodynamics is crucial in designing and optimizing systems and processes that involve heat and energy.

5. How can I prepare for "Another Thermo Question" on an exam or test?

The best way to prepare for "Another Thermo Question" on an exam or test is to review the fundamental principles and equations of thermodynamics and practice solving similar problems. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.