Arrow's initial velocity (Force problem)

In summary, an arrow leaves the bow with a speed of 47.63 m/s if the arrow is thrown with a 200N force and 20 degrees.
thatgirlyouknow

Homework Statement

An arrow, starting from rest, leaves the bow with a speed of 27.5 m/s. If the average force exerted on the arrow by the bow was increased 3 times and the arrow was accelerated over the same distance, then with what speed would the arrow leave the bow?

Homework Equations

F = ma, obviously. So if 3F = 3ma, then the acceleration would triple, because the mass of the arrow remains the same.

Vx=V0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

3*27.5 is wrong, so tripling the force doesn't automatically triple the initial velocity. I don't feel like I have enough information to work this problem, honestly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or help to offer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that acceleration triples. But you don't know the time... you know the distance is the same in both situations.

There's another kinematics equation that's useful in this circumstance. hint: it doesn't have time in it.

So using v^2 = v0^2 + 2ax, should I find the final velocity the first time? Using that the acceleration triples could give:

v^2 = v0^2 + 6ax

And the first launch is v^2 = 27.5^2 + 2ax. The distance is the same, so if one solves for x and sets the equations equal you get:

(v^2-v0^2)/6a =( v^2-(27.5^2))/2a

But that's still too many variables to solve! How am I supposed to know the final velocity and/or acceleration?

In the first situation 27.5 is the final velocity. v0 = 0.
In the second situation, you're trying to calculate final velocity, and v0 = 0.

Write the two kinematics equations for the two situations... then try to see if you can eliminate a and x.

we're looking over the period in which the bow is accelerated... so the velocity with which the bow leaves, is the final velocity (at the end of the acceleration)

Well x is easily eliminated since it is the same in both equations. Solving for x and then setting the two equal to each other gives:

27.5^2/(2a) = v^2/(6a)

Rearranging and solving for v^2 gives:

2268.75a = v^2

But I'm still stuck with a, and have no idea where it could go or how to get rid of it.

thatgirlyouknow said:
Well x is easily eliminated since it is the same in both equations. Solving for x and then setting the two equal to each other gives:

27.5^2/(2a) = v^2/(6a)

Yes, exactly.

Rearranging and solving for v^2 gives:

2268.75a = v^2

No, you made a mistake in your algebra. You're almost there... :wink:

Oops, the a's cancel. My mistake.

So v = 47.63 m/s. Thank you so much! Problem solved. :D

thatgirlyouknow said:
Oops, the a's cancel. My mistake.

So v = 47.63 m/s. Thank you so much! Problem solved. :D

yup. that's the answer.

no prob. you're welcome.

Last edited:
I have different question;
What distance an arrow travel if I throw the arrow with 200N force and 20 degrees?
The mass of the arrow is 100 gr.
Please help,Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is Arrow's initial velocity?

Arrow's initial velocity is the speed at which the arrow is launched or released from the bow. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is Arrow's initial velocity calculated?

Arrow's initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the arrow by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. Why is Arrow's initial velocity important in a force problem?

Arrow's initial velocity is important in a force problem because it is one of the factors that determines the amount of force needed to launch the arrow. The higher the initial velocity, the more force is required to overcome air resistance and other factors that may slow down the arrow.

4. How does the angle of the bow affect Arrow's initial velocity?

The angle of the bow can affect Arrow's initial velocity by changing the direction and force of the launch. A higher angle (closer to perpendicular) can result in a higher initial velocity, while a lower angle (closer to parallel) may result in a lower initial velocity.

5. Can Arrow's initial velocity change during flight?

Yes, Arrow's initial velocity can change during flight due to external factors such as air resistance, wind, and gravity. These factors can cause the arrow to slow down or speed up, resulting in a change in its initial velocity.