Optimizing Radio Reception: Trimming Antennas for Modern Cars

In summary, the conversation discusses the poor quality of the radios in the speaker's and their wife's new cars and whether there is a way to optimize them. The speaker mentions a potential solution of taking the cars back to the dealer for replacements and also suggests an alignment in the RF front ends of the radios. Another speaker points out that newer radios are optimized for FM and suggests getting an aftermarket radio. The conversation also briefly touches on whether the conversation should be moved to a different forum and the potential of going back to the dealer for a comparison listen.
mtworkowski@o
Both my and my wife's car are fairly new. Yet the radios are very bad. In the old days there was some adjustment that could be made called trimming. Does anybody know if there is a procedure for optimizing on todays radios? AM.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mtworkowski@o said:
Both my and my wife's car are fairly new. Yet the radios are very bad. In the old days there was some adjustment that could be made called trimming. Does anybody know if there is a procedure for optimizing on todays radios? AM.

Weird that they are so bad. If the cars are still under warranty, try taking them back and asking for replacements. Listen to the radios in the showroom cars of the same make, to see if they all sound that bad, or if you just got a couple of lemons.

There is some alignment that can be done generally in the RF front ends of the radios, but that takes special equipment and the factory alignment instructions in order to perform the alighment (it's basically tuning several variable inductances and capacitances to work best together for passing and filtering the RF signals).

mtworkowski@o said:
In the old days there was some adjustment that could be made called trimming.
I haven't seen that trimmer in a long time, but it was for antenna matching.
One of the problems with newer radios is that the antennas are optimized for FM.

Thanks for the response. I knew I was screwed. I should get myself an after market radio for myself since my wife is oblivious to radio reception. Should I throw this over to EE or what?

mtworkowski@o said:
Should I throw this over to EE or what?

You are in EE :uhh:

berkeman said:
You are in EE :uhh:

It say's general E.

mtworkowski@o said:
It say's general E.

Ack! You're right. Jeeze, I need to slow down and read the daisies... or something like that. Moving thread to the actual EE forum. :blushing:

mtworkowski@o said:
It say's general E.

And I did not mean to insult anybody. I think I did. Sorry. I went to what I thought was general because I thught it was the right place to go.

BTW was my suggestion of heading back to the dealer for a comparison listen practical?

mtworkowski@o said:
And I did not mean to insult anybody. I think I did. Sorry. I went to what I thought was general because I thught it was the right place to go.

No insult taken at all. We aim to help get you the best answer. I just was reading too fast, and thought it was in EE already.

berkeman said:
BTW was my suggestion of heading back to the dealer for a comparison listen practical?

I always think the dealer is full of *&^%, so I try my own way first. But thanks, it makes sense.

1. How can trimming antennas improve radio reception in modern cars?

Trimming antennas can improve radio reception by reducing the amount of interference from other electronic devices and structures on the car. By trimming the antenna to the optimal length, it can better pick up radio signals and improve the overall reception quality.

2. What tools are needed to trim a car antenna?

The tools needed to trim a car antenna include a wire cutter or a pair of pliers, a ruler or measuring tape, and a soldering iron (if the antenna is not adjustable). A multimeter may also be useful to measure the antenna's current length and resistance.

3. How do I determine the optimal length to trim my car antenna?

The optimal length to trim a car antenna can vary depending on the specific car and radio frequency. Generally, it is recommended to trim the antenna to half the wavelength of the desired frequency. This can be calculated by dividing the speed of light (in meters per second) by the frequency (in Hertz) and then dividing that number by two.

4. Are there any risks involved in trimming a car antenna?

There are some risks involved in trimming a car antenna, such as damaging the antenna or voiding the car's warranty. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult the car's manual before attempting to trim the antenna. It may also be helpful to seek the assistance of a professional.

5. Can I still receive FM and AM radio signals after trimming my car antenna?

Yes, trimming a car antenna should not affect its ability to receive FM and AM radio signals. However, it may affect the reception quality of certain frequencies. It is important to consider the desired frequencies and adjust the antenna accordingly to optimize reception.