How can the formula for integrating 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2) be derived?

• Thread starter Freiddie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation was about finding a formula for the integral \int \frac{dx}{(x^2+y^2)^\frac{3}{2}} using substitution. The conversation also touched on the origins of mathematical formulas and the difficulty of solving inverse problems.
Freiddie
Well, so I really want to integrate what's shown in the title:
i.e.
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(x^2+y^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Now, I know there are quite a few straightforward answers to this. But what I really want is how people who do math got this formula in the first place. I don't just want a formula that seems to have come from a serendipitous accident or something. Please tell me how to derive the answer.

(You might have guessed this has something to do with electric fields)

Thank you for helping.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hmm, are we keeping y constant here? If so then a trig substitution should might be a good first step.

Yes, y is a constant.

Trig substitution? The final answer doesn't have any trig functions.

That's because it probably involves an inverse trig function nested inside a trig function which of course would undo the trig function. Anyways you'll see what I mean if you try it.

Anyways I would try the substitution x = y*tan(t) (Have you learned u-sub?).

Last edited:

[itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so, dividing on both sides by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]tan^2(\theta)+ 1= sec^2(\theta)[/itex]. Thats why snipez90 suggested "tan(t)". Let [itex]x= ytan(\theta)[/itex]. In that case [itex]x^2+ y^2= y^2tan^2(\theta)+ y^2= y^2(tan^2(\theta)+ 1)= y^2sec^2(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex](x^2+ y^2)^{3/2}= (y^2sec^2(\theta))^{3/2}= y^3 sec^3(\theta)[/itex].

Also, it [itex]x= y tan(\theta)[/itex], then [itex]dx= ysec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex].

So the integral, [itex]\int dx/(x^2+ y^2)^{3/2}[/itex] becomes
[tex]\int \frac{y sec^2(\theta)d\theta}{y^3 sec^3(\theta)}= \int\frac{d\theta}{y^2 sec(\theta)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{y^2}\int cos(\theta)d\theta= \frac{1}{y^2}sin(\theta)+ C[/itex]

Since [itex]tan(\theta)= x/y[/itex], imagine a right triangle having angle [itex]\theta[/itex], opposite side of length x, and near side of length y. Then the hypotenuse of that triangle has length [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] and so [itex]cos(\theta)= y/\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex].

That means that [itex](1/y^2)cos(\theta)+ C= (1/y^2)(y/\sqrt{x^2+ y^2})+ C= 1/(y\sqrt{x^2+ y^2})+ C[/itex]

@snipez90:
Yes I've learned substitution. If it's solvable by substitution, then I just have the problem of finding what to substitute.

@HallsofIvy:
Ooh, that is one clever substitution. I never thought of that. What I don't get is why you are trying to find:

HallsofIvy said:
[itex](1/y^2)cos(\theta)+ C= (1/y^2)(y/\sqrt{x^2+ y^2})+ C= 1/(y\sqrt{x^2+ y^2})+ C[/itex]

when there's a sin(x) in the final equation. In that case, the answer would be:
[tex]{1 \over y^2} sin(\theta) + C = {1 \over y^2} {x \over \sqrt{x^2+y^2}} + C[/tex]

Thanks so much!

Freiddie

Freiddie said:
I don't just want a formula that seems to have come from a serendipitous accident or something.
To put it to you bluntly, this is in fact where most integration formulae come from. Things like the above proof usually only come after the discovery of the initial function.

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
To put it to you bluntly, this is in fact where most integration formulae come from. Things like the above proof usually only come after the discovery of the initial function.

That's a depressing thought. :frown:

(I digress - Is there a possibility that a Turing machine exists that calculates integrals?)

Freiddie said:
(I digress - Is there a possibility that a Turing machine exists that calculates integrals?)

No, there is no algorithm for finding general integrals (contrast to derivatives, for which there are very clear-cut algorithms). Many integral formulas were found, as mentioned, by lucky guesses (although many of those are still arrivable deterministically, if one is clever enough).

Ben Niehoff said:
No, there is no algorithm for finding general integrals (contrast to derivatives, for which there are very clear-cut algorithms). Many integral formulas were found, as mentioned, by lucky guesses (although many of those are still arrivable deterministically, if one is clever enough).

In fact, this is generally true of "inverse" problems.

If I were to define a function, say, f(x)= x5- 3x4+ 3x3- 7 x2- 4x + 5, and ask "What is f(7)?", you would only need to evaluate it-do the arithmetic- because you are already given the formula. But if I were ask "For what x is f(x)= 9" that would be a very difficult problem. It involves solving the equation and we know that, even for something as simple as a polynomial equation there may be several different solutions or no solution at all and, indeed, if the polynomial has degree 5 or more, there may be solutions that cannot be written in terms of algebraic operations.

Oh OK. Thanks for the explanation.

1. What is the meaning of the function 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)?

The function 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2) represents the inverse square relationship between the distance from the origin and the strength of a gravitational or electric field. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of point sources of these fields.

2. What is the domain and range of the function 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)?

The domain of the function is all real numbers except for (0,0) since the function is undefined at that point. The range of the function is also all real numbers, as the output can be both positive and negative depending on the values of x and y.

3. How is the function 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2) used in real-world applications?

This function is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of point sources of gravitational or electric fields. It can also be used in fluid dynamics to describe the behavior of vortices and in signal processing to analyze the strength of signals at varying distances.

4. How do you integrate 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)?

To integrate 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2), we can use the substitution method by letting u = x^2+y^2. This will simplify the integral to ∫1/u^(3/2) du, which can then be integrated using the power rule for integration. The final result will include an inverse tangent function and a constant of integration.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating 1/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when integrating this function. If the limits of integration include the point (0,0), the integral will be undefined since the function is undefined at that point. Additionally, if the limits of integration only include a half-circle or quarter-circle, the integral can be simplified using trigonometric identities.