Minimum Force to Lift a Cylinder: Explained

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum power and angle needed to lift a cylinder over a step with minimum force. The solution involves finding the torque due to the weight and using an appropriate angle to produce the minimum force. When the torque due to the weight is equal to the torque produced by the force, the force can be considered minimum.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey, guys.
I have this guy trying to lift this cylinder pass the step with minimum force and so is the question, what's the minimum power that he needs to use and at what angle (alpha)?
I also added the solution.
The thing I don't understand is, why when the momentum of the weight and the momentum of the force equal one to another, you can say that the force is minimum? I mean, I can understand that there's no angular acceleration, but why is it minimum (the force)?
10x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
asi123 said:
The thing I don't understand is, why when the momentum of the weight and the momentum of the force equal one to another, you can say that the force is minimum?
You mean (I presume) moment (or torque) not momentum. The torque due to the weight is what the man must overcome to lift the cylinder over the step. So the minimum torque that he must exert is equal to the torque due to the weight. Of course, he'd choose an appropriate angle to use the minimum force to produce that torque.

Doc Al said:
You mean (I presume) moment (or torque) not momentum. The torque due to the weight is what the man must overcome to lift the cylinder over the step. So the minimum torque that he must exert is equal to the torque due to the weight. Of course, he'd choose an appropriate angle to use the minimum force to produce that torque.

Thanks.

1. What factors affect the minimum force required to lift a cylinder?

The minimum force required to lift a cylinder depends on the weight and shape of the cylinder, the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface it is resting on, and the angle at which the force is being applied.

2. How can I calculate the minimum force required to lift a cylinder?

The minimum force can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the minimum force, m is the mass of the cylinder, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle at which the force is being applied, and μ is the coefficient of friction. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or tables that provide the minimum force for different cylinder sizes and weights.

3. Can the minimum force required to lift a cylinder change?

Yes, the minimum force required to lift a cylinder can change depending on the surface it is resting on. For example, if the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface increases, the minimum force required to lift it will also increase.

4. How does the shape of the cylinder affect the minimum force required?

The shape of the cylinder can affect the minimum force required to lift it because it can change the distribution of its weight. A taller cylinder with a smaller base will require more force to lift than a shorter cylinder with a larger base, assuming all other factors remain the same.

5. Are there any techniques to reduce the minimum force required to lift a cylinder?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help reduce the minimum force required to lift a cylinder. These include using lubricants to decrease the coefficient of friction, increasing the angle at which the force is being applied, and using pulleys or other mechanical devices to distribute the weight of the cylinder.