Is water a solvent in this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the molality of a solution of water dissolved in methanol, with a mole fraction of water at 0.25. There is a question about whether water is considered a solvent or a solute in this situation, but it is concluded that methanol is the solvent based on the mole fraction of water being less than that of methanol.
lucky_star
Homework Statement
Determine the molality of a solution of water dissolved in methanol for which the mole fraction of water is 0.25.

Hi all,
I just want to ask if water in this problem is a solvent or a solute!? Is water always a solvent even though they say "a solution of water dissolved in methanol" in the problem? Please help me clear it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears you've answered your own question. Also, note the mole fraction of water in the solution.

naele said:
It appears you've answered your own question. Also, note the mole fraction of water in the solution.

Thanks! Yes, and that's how it get me confused. A solvent is what we have more of, and a solute is what we have less. This appears violating the common rule. I think this is an exception right? what do you think?

Last edited:
That's basically how you look at it. Consider a typical aqueous solution, say 1M HCl. That means there's one mole of HCl in one liter of water. But water is at roughly ~55M so there's quite a bit more of it. In this case, we're told that a water/methanol solution has water at 0.25 mole fraction. By extension we know that methanol has to be 1 - 0.25 = 0.75 which of course is greater than 0.25 so we can only conclude that methanol is the solvent here.

Yes, that makes sense to me! Thank so much!

What is a solvent?

A solvent is a substance that has the ability to dissolve other substances, known as solutes, to create a solution.

Is water a common solvent?

Yes, water is considered a universal solvent because it has the ability to dissolve a wide variety of substances.

How does water act as a solvent?

Water acts as a solvent by breaking down the intermolecular forces between solute particles and surrounding them, allowing them to move freely and form a solution.

Why is water a good solvent?

Water is a good solvent due to its polarity and ability to form hydrogen bonds with other molecules, making it effective at dissolving both polar and ionic substances.

Are there any substances that cannot be dissolved in water?

Yes, there are some substances that are hydrophobic, meaning they are not soluble in water. These include non-polar molecules such as oils and fats.