Calculating Area of Solids of Revolution

In summary, James889 found that the area of a solid is 9x-\frac{e^{2x^2}}{4}\bigg|_0^1, but he got the last term wrong because he used the incorrect equation.
James889
Hi,

I have the area [tex]D(x,y): \sqrt{x}e^{x^2}\leq y \leq 3,~~ 0\leq x \leq 1[/tex]

That is rotated about the x axis, and i need to calculate the area

[tex]\pi \int_0^1 3^2-y^2 = \pi \int_0^1 9-xe^{2x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-9\pi}{4}\cdot (e^{2x^2}-1)\bigg|_0^1[/tex]

But this is all wrong, why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi James889! :smile:

First, are you trying to find the area of a surface of revolution, or the volume of a solid of revolution? :confused:

Anyway, how did you get 9/4 out of that?

Do the two parts separately (you seem to be suffering from a sort of human-fly syndrome :rolleyes:).

tiny-tim said:
Hi James889! :smile:

First, are you trying to find the area of a surface of revolution, or the volume of a solid of revolution? :confused:

Anyway, how did you get 9/4 out of that?

Do the two parts separately (you seem to be suffering from a sort of human-fly syndrome :rolleyes:).

Hi Tim,

Im trying to find the area of a solid.
I just factored out the 9 from the integral, the [tex]1/4[/tex] is from integrating [tex]xe^{2x^2}[/tex]

James889 said:
I just factored out the 9 from the integral, the [tex]1/4[/tex] is from integrating [tex]xe^{2x^2}[/tex]

Yes, but how did they get toegther? :confused:

Anyway
Im trying to find the area of a solid.

You mean the surface area?

But you're using ∫πy2dx, which is a volume.

For the correct formula, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_of_revolution" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so bad at this :tongue:

Have you got it now?

If not, show us what you have so far. :smile:

Turned out i had misread the question, they did ask for the volume of the solid
[tex]
D(x,y): \sqrt{x}e^{x^2}\leq y \leq 3,~~ 0\leq x \leq 1
[/tex]

Same as before, baby steps.
[tex]\pi\int_0^1 9-(\sqrt{x}e^{x^2})^2[/tex]

[tex]9x-\frac{e^{2x^2}}{4}\bigg|_0^1[/tex]

[tex]\pi\cdot\frac{36-e^2}{4} - (0-\frac{e}{4})[/tex]

Fine, except the last term should be e0/4, = 1/4. :wink:

(and use more brackets, to show you have the π in the right place)

What is the formula for calculating the area of a solid of revolution?

The formula for calculating the area of a solid of revolution is A = ∫ 2πy(x) * ds, where y(x) is the function that defines the curve of the solid and ds is the infinitesimal arc length element.

What is the difference between finding the area of a solid of revolution and finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The area of a solid of revolution refers to the outer surface area of the solid, while the volume refers to the space inside the solid. The formulas for calculating these values are different, with the volume formula being A = ∫ πy(x)^2 * dx.

What types of shapes can be used to create solids of revolution?

Any shape that can be rotated around an axis can be used to create a solid of revolution. This includes circles, triangles, rectangles, and more complex curves.

What is the difference between using the disk method and the shell method to calculate the area of a solid of revolution?

The disk method involves slicing the solid into infinitesimally thin disks and calculating the area of each disk, while the shell method involves slicing the solid into infinitesimally thin cylindrical shells and calculating the surface area of each shell. The resulting formulas may be different, but they both yield the same final answer.

How can I apply the concept of solids of revolution in real life?

Solids of revolution are commonly used in engineering and architecture to calculate the surface area and volume of curved structures such as pipes, containers, and bridges. They are also used in physics and calculus to model physical systems and calculate the distribution of mass or charge within an object.