Powering LM741 Op Amp Without -15V Supply

• Thread starter Blenton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opamp
In summary: If you have access to the inside of your 12 volt power source and feel comfortable with modifying it safely, it might be possible to use a half wave voltage doubler to produce a negative voltage.@vk6ro
Blenton
I'm trying to build a circuit using a lm741 op amp, and normally the opamp requires +-15 V to run it. However currently I don't have a power supply that has a negative output.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't connecting the device from +15 and -15 the same as just connecting a +30 to ground supply?

If not how does one create a negative voltage short of buying a duel power supply? (I have a DC power supply that generates 5,7.5,9,12V)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Blenton said:
I'm trying to build a circuit using a lm741 op amp, and normally the opamp requires +-15 V to run it. However currently I don't have a power supply that has a negative output.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't connecting the device from +15 and -15 the same as just connecting a +30 to ground supply?

If not how does one create a negative voltage short of buying a duel power supply? (I have a DC power supply that generates 5,7.5,9,12V)

The difference between +/-15V and 30V is the ground in the middle. You need low impedance supply rails with respect to your ground/reference voltage. Most of your opamp circuits with split supplies will use ground as a reference, despite there being no ground connection to the opamp IC itself.

You can try to artificially make a middle reference rail in a 30V system, but forming some sort of voltage divider to make 15V, and then bypassing the heck out of it with caps. Depending on your citcuit, that can work okay.

A better way for you (and a good learning project) would be to make an inverting DC-DC circuit, followed by a negative linear regulator (to eliminate ripple). Check out the inverting Simple Switcher series from National Semiconductor, for example. They are pretty simple circuits to design and build.

There is a good article on using opamps with a single supply here:

http://courses.cit.cornell.edu/bionb440/datasheets/SingleSupply.pdf

In Figure 2 they use an opamp as a buffer to give a stable virtual ground. Often two resistors and a bypass capacitor are all that is needed.

The article also has an excellent summary of filter circuitry.If your signals are at or near ground level, and cannot be coupled via capacitors, you would still need a real split power supply. This would happen if the signals were DC or slowly varying AC.

If you have access to the inside of your 12 volt power source and feel comfortable with modifying it safely, it might be possible to use a half wave voltage doubler to produce a negative voltage.

Last edited by a moderator:
@vk6ro

Yes I've been reading the article, and it serves well to power op amps, however I also require negative volts to power a motor in reverse (the op amp to switch motor between forwards and reverse).

Do you think it would be possible/safe to use a powersupply from a PC for this?

PC power supplies can be used for general power supplies, but there are two issues to keep in mind.

First, some PC power supplies have minimum output current requirements. If you draw less than the minimum (from whichever rail is spec'd), that rail can go out of regulation, usually too high. Second, since they are switching power supplies designed for digital logic, they tend to have pretty noisy ripple. Not good for analog applications, although motors don't care about their ripple.

1. How can I power an LM741 op amp without a -15V supply?

There are a few different options for powering an LM741 op amp without a -15V supply. One option is to use a voltage divider circuit to create a virtual ground at half the supply voltage, allowing you to power the op amp with a single positive supply. Another option is to use a charge pump or voltage inverter circuit to generate a negative supply voltage from a positive supply. Additionally, some op amps have a wide enough operating range that they can be powered with a single supply, although this may affect their performance.

2. Can I use a battery to power an LM741 op amp without a -15V supply?

Yes, you can use a battery to power an LM741 op amp without a -15V supply. However, depending on the type of battery and its voltage, you may still need to use a voltage divider or charge pump circuit to generate the necessary -15V supply. It is important to make sure that the battery supply is stable and within the recommended operating range for the op amp.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of using a single supply to power an LM741 op amp?

When using a single supply to power an LM741 op amp, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. One is that the op amp may not be able to operate at its full output swing, which could limit its performance. Additionally, the op amp may have increased noise and distortion when powered with a single supply. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and requirements of your circuit to determine if a single supply is appropriate for powering the op amp.

4. Are there any alternative op amps that can be powered without a -15V supply?

Yes, there are many alternative op amps available that can be powered without a -15V supply. Some op amps have a wider supply voltage range, allowing them to be powered with a single supply. Others have built-in charge pumps or voltage inverters to generate a negative supply voltage. It is important to carefully review the specifications and requirements of your circuit to select the best op amp for your needs.

5. Can I use a -12V supply instead of a -15V supply to power an LM741 op amp?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use a -12V supply instead of a -15V supply to power an LM741 op amp. The op amp may not operate at its full output swing and could have increased noise and distortion. It is important to refer to the op amp's datasheet and recommendations for the required supply voltage. If a -15V supply is not available, alternative op amps or power supply solutions should be considered.