Force between two charged bodies

In summary, the two spheres have a total of 12 charges (10 protons and 2 electrons) and every individual charged particle on the first sphere exerts a force on every individual charged particle on the second one. However, these forces cancel each other out, resulting in a net electrostatic force of 0 between the two spheres. If two electrons were to be stripped from the larger sphere, the net charge would become positive, but the smaller sphere would still be neutral, resulting in no change in the net force between the two spheres.
runningirl

Homework Statement

Suppose I had a large sphere with 10 protons and 10 neutrons. Another sphere with 2 protons and 2 electrons. How many different electrostatic forces would be acting between the two spheres? What would be the likely net force between the two spheres in this example? How would this change if I stripped 2 electrons away from the larger sphere?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

F=k(q1^2)(q2^2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

what do they mean by how many "different electrostatic forces"?
Would the net force be 0? and i don't think it would change even if i stripped away 2 electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is q1 (the charge on the first sphere)? What is q2 (the charge on the second sphere). Plugging these into coulomb's law will give you the total (net) force between the spheres.

Each sphere has a number of electric charges on it, and each charge on the first sphere interacts with every charge on the second sphere. Of course, the sum of these interactions should just be the same as the total one you calculated using the above method (by just looking at overall charge totals).

wait... is the charge 10 and 2 respectively?
also, what do they mean by how many different electrostatic forces?

runningirl said:
wait... is the charge 10 and 2 respectively?

Well, what is the charge of a proton? How about a neutron? And an electron? Add them up for each sphere.

runningirl said:
also, what do they mean by how many different electrostatic forces?

I had intended this statement below as an answer to that question. Sorry if I wasn't clear. :redface:

cepheid said:
Each sphere has a number of electric charges on it, and each charge on the first sphere interacts with every charge on the second sphere.

if you add them up.. it's 0.

...the electrostatic charge is just neutral because of the protons and electrons...

Yes. The net charge of two protons and two electrons is zero. So q2 is zero. So sphere 2 is uncharged and feels no force from sphere 1.

so there are no electrostatic forces.
but the net force would be more positive if you did strip 2 electrons away from the larger sphere. is there a specific number for the "net force". would it be.. 6?

runningirl said:
so there are no electrostatic forces.

There is no NET electrostatic force, but there are individual electrostatic forces amongst the various individual charged particles that are present. Like I said twice before, every individual charged particle on the first sphere exerts a force on every individual charged particle on the second one. It's just that all of these forces add up to zero. The question still wants you to count how many of them there are.
runningirl said:
but the net force would be more positive if you did strip 2 electrons away from the larger sphere. is there a specific number for the "net force". would it be.. 6?

Even if you stripped two electrons away from the *larger* sphere (the one with the 10 protons and 10 neutrons), making its net charge more positive, the smaller sphere would still be neutral, and there would still be no force acting.

I don't understand the rest of your question. What does, 'is there a specific number for the 'net force'" mean?

i was wondering if the net force would change though.
because it wouldn't be 0, would it? or it would stay 0 because the smaller sphere is 0?

1. What is the force between two charged bodies?

The force between two charged bodies is the electrostatic force, which is a result of the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force between two charged bodies calculated?

The force between two charged bodies can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two bodies, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force between two charged bodies?

The force between two charged bodies is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the bodies, and the medium in which the bodies are located. The force increases as the charges increase and decreases as the distance between the bodies increases. The medium can also affect the force, as it can either increase or decrease the force depending on its dielectric constant.

4. How does the direction of the force between two charged bodies depend on the charges?

The direction of the force between two charged bodies is determined by the type of charges on the bodies. Like charges (positive and positive, or negative and negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other.

5. Can the force between two charged bodies be shielded?

Yes, the force between two charged bodies can be shielded by placing a conducting material between them. This material will redistribute the charges on the bodies, canceling out the electrostatic force between them. This is known as electrostatic shielding.