Researching Artificial Intelligence: Books, Tips & Forums

In summary, a ninth grader in a math honors class is researching and writing a 15 page math paper on artificial intelligence. They are asking for book recommendations and tips on how to write a research paper. They also want to know which forum to use for any questions they have about AI. Recommendations include the book "Artificial Intelligence" by Russel and Norvig, the website http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu, and the forum http://www.ai-forum.org/. Other helpful resources include the books "Artificial Intelligence" by George Luger and "Artificial Intelligence" by Rich and Knight, as well as using Google to find AI-related websites and lecture notes. The conversation also touches on the topic of "Artificial
Battlecruiser
First of let me explain who I am: I am a ninth grader in a math honors class, and we have to pick a topic to research, and write a 15 page math research paper on it. I chose artificial intelligence. So now I need books, not textbooks, on artificial intelligence. If anyone has any recommendations, please tell me.

Also, since this is my first research paper, I don't really know how to write one. If anyone has tips or maybe a link that shows you how to write a research paper, please post it here.

Sorry but one more question, if I had any questions about Artificial intelligence, which forum would be good for me to post them in? I can't really find one that's for it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First check,
http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu

this site is the homepage of a neat book on AI by Russel and Norvig
You can get loads of links for AI related topics ...

If u have access to some good library , you may try to get your hands on the book by Russel and Norving and also on the book by Rich and Knight ...

I can help you with any doubts u may have on AI but if u are looking for a forum,then i find this one pretty helpful ...
http://www.ai-forum.org/
(There are not many forums around that are pretty good actually!)

Last but not least,
google is your best friend ..
there are many sites dedicated to AI related topics ... and ofcourse there are loads of lecture notes around so do surf through the net to find as many details as u want ...

-- AI

"Artificial Intelligence" by George Luger is a very good book, although it is used as a textbook. It presents high-end topics and current research. I don't suggest you a forum for AI, because forums won't help you in any way, especially for research papers. In forums either you can entertain yourself, discuss, or get answers to very specific questions. But you may consider www.ai-forum.org where you can post your questions.

ramollari said:
"Artificial Intelligence" by George Luger is a very good book, although it is used as a textbook. It presents high-end topics and current research. I don't suggest you a forum for AI, because forums won't help you in any way, especially for research papers. In forums either you can entertain yourself, discuss, or get answers to very specific questions. But you may consider www.ai-forum.org where you can post your questions.
Yeah, I got this textbook. My uncle brought it, and it is pretty helpful. I still have another 7 or 8 more pages to write though and this stuff is confusing.

I'd be glad to know your topic and give you some thoughts.

What is "Artificial Intelligence" Search Technology?

I don't know if this will be helpful in your research, but this is one of my favorite AI-related web sites. It's about a project at MIT that involved developing a robot that simulated social intelligence:

http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/humanoid-robotics-group/kismet/kismet.html

"The Sociable Machines Project develops an expressive anthropomorphic robot called Kismet that engages people in natural and expressive face-to-face interaction. Inspired by infant social development, psychology, ethology, and evolution, this work integrates theories and concepts from these diverse viewpoints to enable Kismet to enter into natural and intuitive social interaction with a human caregiver and to learn from them, reminiscent of parent-infant exchanges. To do this, Kismet perceives a variety of natural social cues from visual and auditory channels, and delivers social signals to the human caregiver through gaze direction, facial expression, body posture, and vocal babbles."

Kerry said:
What is "Artificial Intelligence" Search Technology?

Search "technology" is in the roots of AI. It is basically to explore all the possible world states that result after certain actions are performed, and if any of those world states matches the desired goal, then the sequence of actions that resulted in that state are taken as a solution of what to do next.
Sounds like 'brute force' algorithm, but search can be guided also by domain-specific knowledge (known as heuristic search).
In the recent decades of AI, search and symbol manipulation in general has been greatly criticized as a methodology. This traditional approach is inflexible and cannot deal with unexpected events where decisions have to be taken 'at instant'. A partial solution is the introduction of reactive architecture (Biology inspired), where every percept is mapped directly to an action. This is illustrated with the example that MIH presented, where the latest of AI technology is expressed. Such an intelligent and flexible robot simulating the face of an infant necessarily needs the introduction of reactive architecture (or at least hybrid). In order to choose an appropriate reaction the artificial infant cannot start reasoning (perform search technology) in order to choose the appropriate reaction to a smile, for example.

Hello Ramollari,

Thank you for your information.

I have just read an article on http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27962; it was very interesting and informative.

This technology is used to build a search engine, Amazing!

I think it’s the first search engine using Artificial Intelligence, I was very much surprised to here that all major search engines including Google, Yahoo Inc, still do not use "artificial intelligence" to make the results more relevant.

Hi Kerry,

Interesting information in that link.
I think I completely misunderstood what you were asking for (AI for search engines) with traditional AI low level search.
But it is not that today's search engines haven't incorporated artificial intelligence, because the latter is seen from many perspectives. Google, and Yahoo, for example search the web with the so called 'intelligent agents', or sometimes called robots, or Googlebots, etc.
What is asked to be incorporated further in the search engines is the higher level 'semantic search' in addition to 'syntax search'. That is, the search agents aren't supposed to look only for exact word matches, but also for texts that match in meaning to your keywords. So, expecting a dramatic increase in the information offered in web servers, it will be a daunting task to find for information resources that match your needs just with todays engines like Google, where syntax search is being employed.

What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the simulation of human intelligence processes by computer systems. It involves the development of algorithms and techniques that enable machines to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as problem-solving, decision-making, and learning.

Why is AI research important?

AI research is important because it has the potential to revolutionize various industries and improve our daily lives. It can help us automate tedious and repetitive tasks, make more accurate predictions and decisions, and even create new technologies and innovations.

What are some recommended books on AI research?

Some recommended books on AI research include "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig, "Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies" by Nick Bostrom, and "Deep Learning" by Yoshua Bengio, Ian Goodfellow, and Aaron Courville.

What are some tips for conducting AI research?

Some tips for conducting AI research include staying up-to-date with the latest developments and techniques in the field, collaborating with other researchers, experimenting with different approaches, and being open to new ideas and perspectives.

What are some online forums for AI researchers?

Some popular online forums for AI researchers include Reddit's r/artificialintelligence, Machine Learning subreddit, and the Kaggle forums. Additionally, many conferences and organizations have their own online communities for AI researchers to connect and collaborate with each other.