Find a Vector parallel to the line of intersection

In summary, to find a vector parallel to the line of intersection of two planes, you can find the normals of each plane and use them to find a vector perpendicular to both.
stratusfactio

Homework Statement

Find a vector parallel to the line of intersection of the planes given by the equations 2x-3y+5z=2 and 4x+y-3z=7.

Homework Equations

How do I go about this? I know we have two vectors <2,3,5> and <4,1,-3> but where do I go from here?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know whether I dot this, cross product this. I'm lost as where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
note that the line is parallel to both planes. so it is perpendicular to both planes' normals. If you can find the normal of each planes (which you have), how can you use those 2 vectors to find a vector perpendicular to both?

Last edited:
lanedance said:
note that the line is parallel to both planes. so it is perpendicular to both planes. If you can find the normal of each planes (which you have), how can you use those 2 vectors to find a vector perpendicular to both?

I'm sure you mean both planes normals. :wink:

cheers, updated it

1. What is a vector parallel to the line of intersection?

A vector parallel to the line of intersection is a vector that has the same direction as the line of intersection. This means that the vector and the line of intersection will never intersect or cross each other.

2. How do you find a vector parallel to the line of intersection?

To find a vector parallel to the line of intersection, you can use the cross product of two vectors that lie on the line of intersection. This will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both vectors and therefore parallel to the line of intersection.

3. Can there be more than one vector parallel to the line of intersection?

Yes, there can be infinitely many vectors parallel to the line of intersection. This is because any multiple of a vector parallel to the line of intersection will also be parallel to the line of intersection.

4. How do you know if a vector is parallel to the line of intersection?

If two vectors are parallel to each other, then their cross product will be equal to zero. Therefore, to determine if a vector is parallel to the line of intersection, you can take the cross product of the vector with another vector on the line of intersection and see if the result is zero.

5. Why is finding a vector parallel to the line of intersection important?

Finding a vector parallel to the line of intersection is important in many applications, such as in physics and engineering. It allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of a force or motion along the line of intersection, and can be used in various calculations and problem-solving scenarios.