Questions asked on an Interview for a Phd position

In summary, when preparing for a PhD interview in Europe, one can expect the usual questions about past projects and research interests, but should also be prepared for subject-specific questions or given a problem to solve. It is not necessary to study or prepare for a quiz, as the focus is on the candidate's interest and ability to manage their own work. It is also important to ask questions during the interview to show genuine interest and gather information about the project and potential colleagues.
martin_blckrs
What kind of questions should one expect on an interview for a PhD position (in Europe = starting with research right away)? I guess it will be the usual stuff, as what projects I've been working on, what topic I would be interested in at their institution,etc..., but should I also expect some subject specific questions - like "Could you tell me what that and that equation/principle/theorem implies..." or be given a problem that I have to solve? I.e. does one have to prepare (study) for such a thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry it depends on the institution or even individual professor.
In my experience technical questions aren't useful - students are going to be awarded a degree by some univeristy you trust, so trying to duplicate finals with a couple of questions is pointless.
What they are looking for is real interest in the PhD area, the ability to manage your own work an general stick-to-it 'ness'

Some ask about ugrad research experience, I never liked this because ability to do any relies too much on the institue (some have lots of ugrad projects, some don't allow it) and finance - if the student had to work in the vacations.
I feel the same about ugrad publications, just because some kind prof put your name on the end of a conference paper because you interned in their lab over the summer doesn't really mean much.

I would ask about any final year research project, how they approached it, what they found difficult.

I would not expect a quiz. I would expect probing questions about past scientific work, as they try and figure out what you personally did, how much you learned from it, and what you understand.

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

tra072011 said:
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

I think it's highly unlikely that anyone will give you a difficult technical problem to solve. When I had my PhD interview (UK - chemical engineering) I came prepared for the hard technical questions, but I was woefully underprepared for the soft general questions like:

"Why do you want to do a PhD?"
"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Aside from the soft stuff, the only other things I was quizzed about were my previous experience, and my general understanding of chemical engineering. They are not there to give you a test, they don't have the time or will. That's what university is for! They are there to assess your interest in your subject, your commitment to completing the PhD and whether or not you will 'fit in' with the research group.

PS: It is extremely likely that your final year project will be discussed at length as it is your only real research experience (unless you have industrial R&D experience). So be warned, and good luck!

;D

the interviewer typically has a resume in front of him as the only source of information about you so they can ask questions ranging from:

1) why the gap between this and that job position
2) why the switch of majors
3) tell me about your disertation

I've had some undergrads (admittedly very nervous) come in totally unprepared I asked about some project they worked on and they couldn't explain the big picture and had trouble explaining how their piece fit in in a few words.

Be careful what you say it can lead to more questions. Don't pretend you know something you don't know be honest but be positive by saying well I know this so I could easily pickup that.

Be prepared to talk about any programming or lab work you did because it may be related to what they have in mind.

lastly, don't be passive you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you
ask as many questions as they ask get into a dialog with the interviewer interject your questions don't wait until the end of the interview...

jedishrfu said:
lastly, don't be passive you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you
ask as many questions as they ask get into a dialog with the interviewer interject your questions don't wait until the end of the interview...

That's actually I good point that I forgot to mention. OP, make sure you ask questions, and this is for three reasons:

1) It shows that you're genuinely interested.
2) It will be one of your only ways of getting information about the project.
3) It might be your only opportunity to meet the people that'll you'll be working with for the next 3-4 years and you will have the opportunity to decide whether or not you can stand them!

1. What qualifications do I need to be considered for a PhD position?

The qualifications needed for a PhD position vary depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, a strong academic background with a bachelor's and/or master's degree in a related field is required. Strong research skills, relevant experience, and a passion for the subject area are also important.

2. What kind of research can I expect to do during a PhD program?

The research you will do during a PhD program will depend on the specific program and your area of focus. Generally, you will work on a research project under the guidance of a supervisor, conduct experiments, gather and analyze data, and write a dissertation based on your findings. The research will be focused and in-depth, and you will have the opportunity to contribute to the knowledge in your field.

3. How long does a PhD program typically take?

The length of a PhD program can vary, but on average it takes around 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. Some programs may offer a fast-track option for students with a master's degree, which can shorten the time to completion.

4. How do I find a suitable PhD program and supervisor?

To find a suitable PhD program and supervisor, it is important to research different programs and their faculty members. Look for programs that align with your research interests and reach out to potential supervisors to discuss your interests and see if they have any available positions. Networking at conferences and events in your field can also help you connect with potential supervisors.

5. What are the career prospects after completing a PhD program?

Career prospects after completing a PhD program can vary depending on your field of study and the job market. Some common career paths include research positions in academia or industry, teaching positions, and roles in government or non-profit organizations. A PhD can also open up opportunities for leadership and higher-level positions in your field.