Question about the Double Slit Experiment

In summary: before the slits...its a single "wave"...after the slits...the wave splits into two and then they interfere...as per some of the interpretations/hypothesis...
salvestrom
It maybe the lateness of the hour, but I've just had another one of those awkward thoughts that only people who know more than I do can provide an answer for (I'm compelled to edit quickly and note that by this I mean that no one I know's going to have a clue, not that I'm somehow an authority on the subject... you'll probably figure that out for yourselves).

Anyway. Why doesn't the interference pattern, or perhaps more accurately, the evidence of an electron collision appear everywhere in the room the experiment is being conducted in? On the backside of the slit, on the front. On the walls. And so on... Would it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
salvestrom said:
It maybe the lateness of the hour, but I've just had another one of those awkward thoughts that only people who know more than I do can provide an answer for, and I won't let go until I get one...

Anyway. Why doesn't the interference pattern, or perhaps more accurately, the evidence of an electron collision appear everywhere in the room the experiment is being conducted in? On the backside of the slit, on the front. On the walls. And so on... Would it?

it (single particle interference) does happen all over, its just not being tracked...

an (elaborate) setup is needed to track...from source to detection point...while at the same time ensuring no interference from other sources...

if that's what you are asking

yeah, I'm reffering to the point in the experiment where individual electrons are being fired through the slits, but before the slits are monitored.

salvestrom said:
yeah, I'm reffering to the point in the experiment where individual electrons are being fired through the slits, but before the slits are monitored.

before the slits...its a single "wave"...after the slits...the wave splits into two and then they interfere...as per some of the interpretations/hypothesis...

1. How does the Double Slit Experiment work?

The Double Slit Experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern on a screen. The light passing through the slits creates an interference pattern, showing that light behaves like a wave. However, when the experiment is repeated with individual particles, such as electrons, they create a pattern that suggests they behave like particles. This experiment helps to illustrate the complex nature of light and the dualistic behavior it exhibits.

2. Who first conducted the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment was first performed by English scientist Thomas Young in 1801. He conducted the experiment with light to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light, which was a major breakthrough in understanding the nature of light. However, the experiment was later repeated with electrons by physicist J.J. Thomson and has since been repeated with various other particles, solidifying its significance in the field of quantum mechanics.

3. What does the Double Slit Experiment tell us about the nature of light?

The Double Slit Experiment tells us that light has both wave-like and particle-like properties, which is known as wave-particle duality. This means that light can behave like a wave, with properties such as interference and diffraction, but can also behave like a particle, with properties such as momentum and position. This experiment helped to pave the way for the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of light.

4. Can the Double Slit Experiment be replicated with other particles?

Yes, the Double Slit Experiment has been replicated with various particles, including electrons, protons, and even large molecules. The results of the experiment remain the same, showing that all particles exhibit wave-particle duality. This has led to the understanding that this duality is a fundamental property of matter and not just specific to light.

5. What real-world applications does the Double Slit Experiment have?

While the Double Slit Experiment is primarily used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light and matter, it also has real-world applications. It has been used in the development of technologies such as electron microscopes, which use the wave-like behavior of electrons to produce high-resolution images. The principles of this experiment are also utilized in the development of other quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.