What kind of engineering for this field?

In summary, mechanical and civil/structural engineering have similarities and overlaps with marine engineering, as marine engineering involves the application of mechanical engineering principles to marine systems. Aerospace/aeronautical engineering may also be relevant for those interested in wind-power systems.
supernova1203
So a while back i heard that mechanical engineering has a lot of overlap in terms of curriculum/work with aerospace engineering, another field I am curious about is marine engineering.

Up here in Canada there arent a whole lot of schools offering aerospace/marine engineering

So my question is what kind of engineering is similar to or has overlap with marine engineering?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
supernova1203 said:
So a while back i heard that mechanical engineering has a lot of overlap in terms of curriculum/work with aerospace engineering, another field I am curious about is marine engineering.

Up here in Canada there arent a whole lot of schools offering aerospace/marine engineering

So my question is what kind of engineering is similar to or has overlap with marine engineering?

Thanks
Mechanical or civil/structural engineering. Basically marine engineering is mechanical engineering applied to marine systems - boats, ships, off-shore platforums, or power or control systems used therein.

If one is interested in wind-power systems, e.g., sailboats, then aerospace/aeronautical engineering would be appropriate. But one would also need the hydraulics/fluid mechanics from mechanical engineering.

1. What kind of engineering is needed for the field of robotics?

The field of robotics requires a combination of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. Mechanical engineering is needed to design the physical structure of the robot, electrical engineering is needed for the design of sensors and actuators, and computer engineering is needed for the programming and control of the robot.

2. What type of engineering is required for the field of renewable energy?

The field of renewable energy requires a variety of engineering disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, and environmental engineering. Mechanical engineering is needed for the design and maintenance of renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and solar panels, while electrical engineering is needed for the design and integration of these systems into the power grid. Environmental engineering is also important for ensuring the sustainability and environmental impact of renewable energy sources.

3. What kind of engineering is used in the aerospace industry?

The aerospace industry relies heavily on aerospace engineering, which combines aspects of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering. Aerospace engineers design and develop aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems, such as propulsion systems and avionics, using knowledge from these different engineering disciplines.

4. What type of engineering is necessary for the field of biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from engineering and medicine. It requires a combination of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering to design and develop medical devices, prosthetics, and other healthcare technologies. Knowledge of biology and medicine is also essential in this field.

5. What kind of engineering is used in the automotive industry?

The automotive industry relies heavily on mechanical and electrical engineering. Mechanical engineering is needed for the design and development of the physical components of vehicles, such as engines and transmissions, while electrical engineering is used for the design and integration of electronic systems and controls, such as infotainment systems and safety features.