Get Bored Easily? Math Struggles & Learning Fast

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the boredom and repetitiveness of math, particularly calculus, in high school and college. Some suggest picking up more advanced math books for a challenge, while others argue that repetition is necessary for understanding and applying mathematical concepts. The importance of recognizing when to use certain techniques is also discussed. Overall, the conversation highlights the different approaches and opinions on how to effectively learn and understand math.
iRaid
Seems like in math, not physics really, whenever I'm doing the same thing for a while it seems to get too repetitive and I can't wait to get out of that section, not to mention the speed seems slow. Could be because I'm taking AP Calc and not at a college level. For whatever reason, I seem to learn better going at a fast pace. Is anyone else like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that level of maths is pretty much just calculations. Most people I know agree that calculations are boring.
Pick yourself up a baby rudin and get reading.
Or a copy of Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang
Or any college level maths book!

genericusrnme said:
Yes, that level of maths is pretty much just calculations. Most people I know agree that calculations are boring.
Pick yourself up a baby rudin and get reading.
Or a copy of Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang
Or any college level maths book!

Yeah, don't do that. Not now anyway!

Use the Calculus books by Spivak or Apostol. I've heard that both are gems but that Spivak might be a little more accessible.

I have no first-hand experience with either (filling in the gaps of my algebra knowledge) but I intend on starting them soon.

Yes, calculus exercises can be repetitive and boring. But it's very important to make the repetitive exercises. You will want to know the different techniques and recognize when you need to use which technique. You can only do this by making repetitive exercises.

Only making 10 exercises on the chain rule in derivatives (for example) is not enough. You have to know the chain rule inside out.

iRaid said:
Seems like in math, not physics really, whenever I'm doing the same thing for a while it seems to get too repetitive and I can't wait to get out of that section, not to mention the speed seems slow. Could be because I'm taking AP Calc and not at a college level. For whatever reason, I seem to learn better going at a fast pace. Is anyone else like that?

If something is too easy then it becomes boring. Just doing lots of *similar* "chain rule" exercises is going to be boring. Don't just blindly go through, say, every exercise in the book. Ask yourself if you really need to do the exercise! If you are certain you can do the exercise, move on to the next one...

Last edited:
Like recently I've just been not paying attention in class just so it isn't so boring when I do the problems at home lol. Makes it a little better, but still.. Does it get better in college :S

iRaid said:
Like recently I've just been not paying attention in class just so it isn't so boring when I do the problems at home lol. Makes it a little better, but still.. Does it get better in college :S

Yes, college is harder and faster!
You should still pay attention in class though.

You should try to pick up Spivak's Calculus. It's accessible but in depth and rigorous at the same time. He motivates most of what he does including why definitions are the way they are.

micromass said:
Yes, calculus exercises can be repetitive and boring. But it's very important to make the repetitive exercises. You will want to know the different techniques and recognize when you need to use which technique. You can only do this by making repetitive exercises.

Only making 10 exercises on the chain rule in derivatives (for example) is not enough. You have to know the chain rule inside out.

So you need to solve more than 10 exercises on the chain rule?
I don't agree with this. By doing that you would only remember the chain rule very well, which is not the same as understanding it very well. Understanding comes when you know why it works, when you can clearly mentally see what is happening when you are applying it, and that is acquired by thinking and trying to conceive why is it true, not by mechanically solving repetitive problems. Generally, in my opinion, problem solving is overrated. Trying to conceive, visualize theorems, concepts is much more important than mechanically using various rules.

Obis said:
So you need to solve more than 10 exercises on the chain rule?
I don't agree with this. By doing that you would only remember the chain rule very well, which is not the same as understanding it very well. Understanding comes when you know why it works, when you can clearly mentally see what is happening when you are applying it, and that is acquired by thinking and trying to conceive why is it true, not by mechanically solving repetitive problems. Generally, in my opinion, problem solving is overrated. Trying to conceive, visualize theorems, concepts is much more important than mechanically using various rules.

Understanding the chain rule very well is easy. Being able to apply it and recognizing when to apply it are very different things.
You will need to be able to calculate derivatives in a lot of places. So practising a lot on it is no wasted effort.

I see the difference with me. Learning something with solving problems is far better than learning something without doing problems. You have to be able to recognize situations when to use which technique. This can only be done by solving many exercises (repetitive or not).

micromass said:
Understanding the chain rule very well is easy. Being able to apply it and recognizing when to apply it are very different things.
You will need to be able to calculate derivatives in a lot of places. So practising a lot on it is no wasted effort.

I see the difference with me. Learning something with solving problems is far better than learning something without doing problems. You have to be able to recognize situations when to use which technique. This can only be done by solving many exercises (repetitive or not).

Understanding is continuous, hence you can't really say that understanding the chain rule is easy. No matter how good you already understand it, you can understand it better. You can always find new ways to look at it, new things to relate it to. This is what gives the ability to be able to recognize when to apply it. And this, at least for me, is best achieved not by solving as many problems as possible, but by thinking about it, trying to imagine, compare, relate, etc.

Understanding the chain rule is not easy. Probably 99.9% of calculus students don't understand the chain rule, they just know how to use it, if they are a decent student.

The difference between me and those calculus students is not that I'm better at calculus because I understand the chain rule. The difference is that because I understand the chain rule, I can prove more general versions of it, such as the complex version or maybe for Banach spaces.

Doing drill is sufficient for mundane purposes, but those with more lofty goals must try to understand WHY the theorems are true, not just how to use them.

1. Why do some people get bored easily?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to someone getting bored easily. This can include a lack of mental stimulation, low levels of dopamine or serotonin in the brain, or a lack of interest in the subject or task at hand.

2. How can I prevent myself from getting bored while learning math?

One way to prevent getting bored while learning math is to find ways to make the material more engaging and interesting. This could include using hands-on activities, incorporating real-world examples, or breaking up the learning into smaller, more manageable chunks.

3. Is it normal to struggle with math?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with math. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and for some people, math may be more challenging. It is important to remember that with practice and perseverance, anyone can improve their math skills.

4. How can I learn math faster?

Learning math faster is possible with the right strategies and approach. Some tips for learning math faster include breaking the material into smaller, more manageable chunks, practicing regularly, using visual aids or mnemonic devices, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed.

5. What are some signs that I may have a learning disability in math?

Some signs that someone may have a learning disability in math include struggling to understand basic math concepts, difficulty with basic arithmetic, trouble following multi-step problems, and consistently scoring low on math exams despite trying hard. It is important to seek professional evaluation if you suspect you may have a learning disability in math.