Should I Choose Graduate School Based on Location or Program Strength?

In summary, the individual is deciding between two graduate schools for CMT. Choice 1 is highly ranked and has a strong focus on theorists, but the individual is hesitant due to its location in the midwest. Choice 2 is also highly ranked and has a strong focus on spintronics, with the added bonus of being located in an excellent city. However, the individual is concerned about the possibility of their preferred research group not being available in a few years and the fact that their prospective advisor may end up working at Choice 1. Despite receiving a substantial fellowship offer from Choice 2, the individual is seeking advice on whether it would be wise to prioritize location over the "best school" for their field.
lxhrk9
I am in the process of deciding where to attend graduate school for CMT. I have essentially narrowed it down to two schools.

Choice 1) pluses: top 10 overall, top in CM, lots of theorists
minuses: midwest hell (I'm from the midwest, I desperately want to escape)

Choice 2) pluses: top 10 overall, top 10 in CM, excellent city, strong in spintronics
minuses: stronger in exp, prospective adviser not yet tenured

So, my question is, would it be foolish to go to a school where I love the research/city over the "best school" for my field because of location? (Also, I have to keep in mind that there is only one group I'm really really excited about at choice 2 and it may not be there in a few years. Not that I'm expecting it to not be there, just considering worst case scenario)

Any advice or experiences in a similar situation would be very helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize there is a non-insignificant probability that your prospective advisor at Choice 2 will end up working at Choice 1. This is one of the pitfalls of factoring geography in.

I know that she completed her Phd at Choice 1. Does this make a difference?

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that I received a substantial fellowship offer from Choice 2 so location is not the only factor.

Last edited:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate school?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a graduate school. These include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, location, cost and financial aid options, curriculum and course offerings, research opportunities, and career prospects after graduation.

2. How do I determine which graduate programs are a good fit for me?

Start by identifying your career goals and academic interests. Then, research the programs offered by various schools and compare them based on the factors mentioned above. You can also reach out to current students, alumni, and faculty members to get a better understanding of the program.

3. Is it better to choose a graduate program at a prestigious university or a lesser-known one?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. While a prestigious university may offer more resources and networking opportunities, a lesser-known university may have a smaller and more supportive community. Consider what is important to you and choose a program that aligns with your needs.

4. How many graduate programs should I apply to?

It is recommended to apply to at least 3-5 graduate programs to increase your chances of acceptance. However, the number may vary depending on your qualifications, the competitiveness of the programs, and your personal preferences.

5. Can I still apply to a graduate program if I do not meet all the admission requirements?

It is best to meet all the admission requirements to increase your chances of acceptance. However, some programs may consider applicants who do not meet all the requirements if they have strong qualifications in other areas. It is best to contact the program directly to inquire about their policies for such situations.