Please suggest grad schools for pure mathematics

In summary, if you want to study mathematics at a graduate level, you should try to find a professor who has taught at a school that is ranked well, and ask them for a list of good schools. You should also try to find a list of graduate students who have studied at a particular school, and ask them which school is the best. Finally, you should look into phds.org and the American Mathematical Society website to get a better understanding of what graduate programs in mathematics are available.
ArcanaNoir
I'm sure everyone gets tired of this question, but it's important, so I'll ask anyway. Can anyone make suggestions for good grad schools for pure mathematics? Especially number theory or algebra. I already have a list of about ten of the top tier schools, but it would be especially helpful to receive suggestions for mid-level schools. I have all A's in math, but I want to have some realistic options, not just optimistic ones. I will only consider schools on the east coast of the united states. Thanks for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be useful.

You should ask your professors that know you (especially if they work in the areas that you're interested in). They will be best equipped to suggest schools for you to apply to and will know who is strong in what areas. Rankings can be a good baseline but they are an amalgamation of many factors, some of which will be important to you and some that won't be.

For physics USNews World Report is useless, and even looking at the rankings should be avoided. Can someone from the math world tell about whether the same is true for math or not?

Also for my reference, is there something in mathematics that's similar to the AIP register of physics and astronomy programs?

http://www.aip.org/pubs/books/graduate.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the ideas so far. I've recently taken to browsing the faculty lists to see what schools everyone went to. Too bad most of my profs went to foreign schools... Like Armenia... It is helping some, though.

ArcanaNoir said:
Thanks for the ideas so far. I've recently taken to browsing the faculty lists to see what schools everyone went to. Too bad most of my profs went to foreign schools... Like Armenia... It is helping some, though.

That's not a problem if they work or interact with other faculty of American institutions. Ask them what they think with regards to places you can look into for algebra and number theory.

Also try to get a list of where people who graduate with Mathematics degrees from their department ended up. (quite a few persons on here and elsewhere have mentioned that this can be useful and it is)

The University of Georgia has a strong group in number theory.

http://www.math.uga.edu/research/number_theory.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about the schools myself, but there's a professor at my school who went to Brandeis and one who went to Rutgers, so I assume they must be good programs. The number theorist here did her PhD at the University of Michigan, which is an amazing school but not, as you say, on the east coast.

Have you tried poking around on phds.org or the student section of the AMS (American Mathematical Society) website? They're both good resources.

20Tauri said:
I don't know much about the schools myself, but there's a professor at my school who went to Brandeis and one who went to Rutgers, so I assume they must be good programs. The number theorist here did her PhD at the University of Michigan, which is an amazing school but not, as you say, on the east coast.

Have you tried poking around on phds.org or the student section of the AMS (American Mathematical Society) website? They're both good resources.

Yeah, U-M is good, but if you did want to go there make sure it's the Ann Arbor Campus.

Thanks for the input. This is scary stuff! Like, decisions that will affect the rest of my life scary stuff! It was so much easier coming out of high school. The stakes just seem to keep getting higher as approach "real life". Too many choices...

What factors should I consider when choosing a grad school for pure mathematics?

When choosing a grad school for pure mathematics, some important factors to consider include the program's reputation and ranking, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the availability of research opportunities, the location and cost of living, and the overall fit with your academic and career goals.

What are some top grad schools for pure mathematics?

Some top grad schools for pure mathematics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Harvard University, Princeton University, University of California-Berkeley, and Stanford University. However, the best school for you may depend on your individual interests and goals.

Is it necessary to attend a highly-ranked grad school for pure mathematics?

No, it is not necessary to attend a highly-ranked grad school for pure mathematics. While attending a highly-ranked program may provide more opportunities and resources, there are many excellent programs available that may be a better fit for your specific interests and goals.

Should I prioritize the faculty or the program's ranking when choosing a grad school for pure mathematics?

Both the faculty and the program's ranking are important factors to consider when choosing a grad school for pure mathematics. It is important to look for a program with reputable faculty who align with your research interests, but the program's overall ranking can also provide insight into the quality of education and opportunities available.

What are some resources for finding potential grad schools for pure mathematics?

Some resources for finding potential grad schools for pure mathematics include online databases such as the US News & World Report rankings, the Mathematical Association of America's list of graduate programs in mathematics, and personal recommendations from professors and colleagues in the field. Attending math conferences and networking with other mathematicians can also help you discover potential programs.