How Can I Make θ the Subject of This Complex Mathematical Formula?

• Thread starter otakwa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the equation X = [cosθ + R(V-θ)^-1.6364] - 1 is being discussed and the question is to make θ the subject of the formula. The range of θ is restricted to [0, pi] and a computer will be needed to find the answer. The speaker also asks if the listener has experience with solving equations in this manner.
otakwa
Help me make θ the subject of the formula in the following equation:

X = [cosθ + R(V-θ)-1.6364]-1]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
otakwa said:
Help me make θ the subject of the formula in the following equation:

X = [cosθ + R(V-θ)-1.6364]-1]

Het otakwa and welcome to the forums. I'll assume your equation is X = [cosθ + R(V-θ)^-1.6364] - 1.

The question I have for you is are you aware that you will only be able to get a value for θ to be in the range of [0,pi] and with the R and V it might even be more restricted.

For this particular equation you won't be able to get an analytic answer and you will need to use a computer to get the answer.

Have you ever done this kind of thing before?

1. How do I make the subject of a formula?

To make the subject of a formula, you need to isolate the variable that you want to be the subject. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on both sides of the equation until the variable is on one side by itself.

2. Can I make the subject of a formula if there are multiple variables?

Yes, it is possible to make the subject of a formula even if there are multiple variables present. The process is the same as mentioned in the previous answer, where you need to isolate the desired variable by using algebraic operations on both sides of the equation.

3. Are there any specific rules for making the subject of a formula?

There are no specific rules for making the subject of a formula, but there are some helpful tips that can make the process easier. These include starting with the variable you want to make the subject, using inverse operations to cancel out terms, and being careful with negative signs.

4. What is the purpose of making the subject of a formula?

Making the subject of a formula allows us to solve for a specific variable and find its value in relation to the other variables in the equation. It is a useful tool in many scientific and mathematical calculations and can help us better understand the relationships between different variables.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should make the subject of a formula?

There is no specific order in which you should make the subject of a formula. However, it is important to follow the basic rules of algebra and perform the same operations on both sides of the equation to maintain equality. Additionally, it may be helpful to start with the variable that is the most isolated and work towards the one you want to make the subject.