Another really basic question this time regarding integration.

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a new function called Sf(x), which is the integral or antiderivative of a given function f. Sf(x) is defined as the sum of all values of f(hj) where 0 ≤ jh < x. The example given is for f(x)=1, and it is mentioned that Sf(x) = 0 for x ≤ h, which seems incorrect since jh is allowed to equal 0. The conversation also touches on the concept of taking the limit h -> 0 to get the integral.
Mathguy15
Given a function f define a new function Sf(x) by summing up all values of f(hj)
where 0 ≤ jh < x. That is, if k is such that kh is the largest below x, then
Sf(x) = h[ f(0) + f(h) + f(2h) + ... + f(kh) ]
We call Sf also the ”integral” or ”antiderivative” of f.

The teacher who wrote the lecture notes I'm reading through gives an example of integration. He evaluates Sf(x) for f(x)=1. I don't understand the first sentence:

We have Sf(x) = 0 for x ≤ h.

Why? Sorry for being such a n00b, but I don't understand. Please help me.

Thanks,
Mathguy

By the way, he verifies that the js in the definition are integers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathguy15 said:
We call Sf also the ”integral” or ”antiderivative” of f.

Err, the integral is what you get if you take the limit h -> 0.
Is that word-for-word what is written there?

We have Sf(x) = 0 for x ≤ h.

That doesn't seem right. jh is allowed to equal 0, so the largest integer k such that
0 ≤ kh < x ≤ h is when k=0. So Sf(x) = h f(0) = h.

Edit: Maybe he means x < 0?

Last edited:
Well, Yes, that is word-for-word, but I think he's doing a "preliminary" definition before the real definition. And I was thinking the same thing, because Sf(x) isn't defined for x<0.

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is the process of combining or bringing together different elements or parts to form a whole. In science, integration is crucial because it allows us to understand complex systems and relationships between different variables. It also helps us make predictions and draw conclusions based on data.

2. How does integration differ from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are two fundamental operations in mathematics. While differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, integration is the reverse process of finding the original function from its derivative. In simpler terms, integration is like adding while differentiation is like subtracting.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the substitution method, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. Other methods include trigonometric substitution, using tables of integrals, and numerical integration techniques such as Simpson's rule and the trapezoidal rule.

4. How is integration used in real-world applications?

Integration has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It is used in calculating areas and volumes, finding the center of mass of an object, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object, and solving differential equations, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to integration?

While integration is a powerful tool in mathematics and science, it does have some limitations. For instance, not all functions can be integrated analytically, meaning we cannot find a closed form solution. In such cases, numerical integration methods are used. Additionally, integration can be time-consuming and challenging for complex functions.