How can I prepare for a case studies interview for a healthcare consulting role?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview Job
In summary: I'm not an expert on the legislation itself, but I believe that even if one is not familiar with all the minutiae, it should be possible to at least answer some basic questions about the act's implications for the healthcare industry. As for preparing for an interview related to the act, I would not recommend anything specific; I would recommend that you do your homework and be well-versed in the issues involved.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I am currently employed as a statistician in the health care sector, but am always open to new opportunities. As it turns out, through a connection from LinkedIn, I am scheduled for a job interview this Friday for a statistician/analytics consultant role for a major management consulting company, specializing in health care consulting.

I was informed that part of the interview process involves the case studies interview. This type of interview is new to me (but was informed that case studies are common for consulting firms), and I was wondering if any of you here on PhysicsForums have any tips or advice on getting prepared for such an interview.

Physics news on Phys.org
Health care consulting - is this Canada or US that you'll be consulting for? I didn't think there was much HC consulting work in Canada, but I also thought that was where you were located. I'm thinking I'm wrong about one. . . or both!

The Harvard Business Review (HBR) magazine usually has examples of case studies. A friend of mine once printed out a number of these case studies to prepare for a few interviews. If you can get a hold of some from a nearby library, you might look over some of them. You might also try to find a magazine with case studies more specific to the health care or consulting fields, but the HBR case studies may still be helpful.

Here's the HBR case-study website: http://hbsp.harvard.edu/list/hbr-case-study (Unfortunately, you have to pay for access to the articles, so hopefully a nearby library carries them).

Also look at various consulting company websites. I think McKinsey's website may have some sample case study problems.

Locrian said:
Health care consulting - is this Canada or US that you'll be consulting for? I didn't think there was much HC consulting work in Canada, but I also thought that was where you were located. I'm thinking I'm wrong about one. . . or both!

You are correct in that I am located in Canada (Toronto, to be more specific). As far as health care consulting is concerned -- the field is more developed in the US than in Canada, but from what I understand there is a growing demand from governments and hospitals for health-care consulting here as well. In addition, there are a number of firms either based in Canada or have offices in the country (including where I will be interviewing) which offer consulting services to clientele in the US.

Mute said:
The Harvard Business Review (HBR) magazine usually has examples of case studies. A friend of mine once printed out a number of these case studies to prepare for a few interviews. If you can get a hold of some from a nearby library, you might look over some of them. You might also try to find a magazine with case studies more specific to the health care or consulting fields, but the HBR case studies may still be helpful.

Here's the HBR case-study website: http://hbsp.harvard.edu/list/hbr-case-study (Unfortunately, you have to pay for access to the articles, so hopefully a nearby library carries them).

Also look at various consulting company websites. I think McKinsey's website may have some sample case study problems.

Hi there. I just had a quick glance at the McKinsey website for some sample case study problems. Thanks for your input!

Might score some points if you’re familiar with Affordable Care Act (the most used name for two pieces of legislation) passed in 2009 in the US. It has created tremendous demand for healthcare consulting because it changes the mechanics of the system. Lots of employers trying to figure out what the potential impacts are and what changes they should make to weather the significant upheavals to take place in January of 2014.

Locrian said:
Might score some points if you’re familiar with Affordable Care Act (the most used name for two pieces of legislation) passed in 2009 in the US. It has created tremendous demand for healthcare consulting because it changes the mechanics of the system. Lots of employers trying to figure out what the potential impacts are and what changes they should make to weather the significant upheavals to take place in January of 2014.

Thanks Locrian for that tip.

For what it's worth, I am familiar with the broad outlines of the Affordable Care Act (colloquially referred to by both supporters and opponents as "Obamacare"), largely due to being a regular viewer of the PBS Newshour (where the legislation has been discussed at length on several of its programs) as well as a regular reader of the Economist (which has covered the Act in some detail in its earlier publications).

1. How should I prepare for a job interview?

The best way to prepare for a job interview is to research the company and the position you are applying for. Review the job description and make sure you understand what the role entails. You should also practice common interview questions and have examples ready to demonstrate your skills and experience.

2. What should I wear to a job interview?

It is important to dress professionally for a job interview. This typically means wearing business attire such as a suit or dress pants and a collared shirt. Avoid wearing anything too casual or revealing, and make sure your clothes are clean and wrinkle-free.

3. How should I answer the "tell me about yourself" question?

The "tell me about yourself" question is a common one in job interviews. It is important to keep your answer brief and relevant to the job. Focus on your professional experience, skills, and achievements. Avoid discussing personal information or unrelated hobbies.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a job interview?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a job interview include arriving late, being unprepared, speaking negatively about previous employers, and not asking any questions. It is also important to maintain a professional demeanor and avoid discussing sensitive topics such as politics or religion.

5. How important is body language in a job interview?

Body language plays a significant role in a job interview. It is important to make eye contact, sit up straight, and avoid fidgeting. These nonverbal cues can convey confidence and interest in the position. It is also important to smile and have a positive demeanor throughout the interview.