When does a ball enter free fall?

In summary: Hmm, this goes to the heart of what Chestermiller said was "splitting hairs". An object is considered to be in free fall if no forces are acting on it beyond the "pseudo-force" of gravity. The point at which the acceleration on the ball is zero and immediately thereafter becomes negative would occur (in a non-idealized world) while the ball was still in...
tahayassen
So in a physics lab, we threw a ball upwards and recorded its acceleration.

If you look at the graph there is actually a period of time where it goes from positive acceleration to -9.8 m/s2. But how is that possible? Before I let go of the ball, it experiences a positive acceleration because I am applying a force causing the net force to be up, but as soon as I let go, the only force acting on it is gravity, so wouldn't the acceleration have to jump from some positive number to -g?

Physics news on Phys.org
tahayassen said:
So in a physics lab, we threw a ball upwards and recorded its acceleration.

If you look at the graph there is actually a period of time where it goes from positive acceleration to -9.8 m/s2. But how is that possible? Before I let go of the ball, it experiences a positive acceleration because I am applying a force causing the net force to be up, but as soon as I let go, the only force acting on it is gravity, so wouldn't the acceleration have to jump from some positive number to -g?

Yes, the FBD changes at the time you lose contact with the ball.

berkeman said:
Yes, the FBD changes at the time you lose contact with the ball.

I don't understand why the acceleration doesn't change instantly like the FBD.

tahayassen said:
I don't understand why the acceleration doesn't change instantly like the FBD.

Why do you think the acceleration does not change instantaneously?

The acceleration does not have to be a continuous function of time. It can change discontinuously. Only the velocity and displacement need to be continuous functions of time.

I would imagine that as the ball leaves the hand, the upward force on it goes to zero very quickly, but not instantaneously - the hand isn't rigid.
So, the acceleration will change very quickly from positive to negative, but not instantaneously.

ap123 said:
I would imagine that as the ball leaves the hand, the upward force on it goes to zero very quickly, but not instantaneously - the hand isn't rigid.
So, the acceleration will change very quickly from positive to negative, but not instantaneously.

There is nothing that says that the acceleration of an object can't be continuous. But there is nothing that says that the acceleration of an object cannot be discontinuous either.

If you model the hand as a rigid body, then I can see that the force from it would drop to zero instantly giving a discontinuous acceleration.
But this is a consequence of our idealised model.
I don't see how the force/acceleration could be discontinuous in a real situation.

Chestermiller said:
There is nothing that says that the acceleration of an object can't be continuous. But there is nothing that says that the acceleration of an object cannot be discontinuous either.
There's a disparity between the mathematical model and reality, of course. I personally believe acceleration, jerk, jounce, etc are continuous in reality. Don't forget that the forces repelling the molecules between the ball and hand are actually 'theoretically infinite fields'.

rjbeery said:
There's a disparity between the mathematical model and reality, of course. I personally believe acceleration, jerk, jounce, etc are continuous in reality. Don't forget that the forces repelling the molecules between the ball and hand are actually 'theoretically infinite fields'.

Yes, agreed. But at this point, I think we are beginning to split hairs. When we analyze these problems, we are also neglecting relativistic effects, but that doesn't bother us much. And what about QM effects? You won't get an inaccurate answer, provided you understand the nature and potential error of your idealized formulation.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, agreed. But at this point, I think we are beginning to split hairs. When we analyze these problems, we are also neglecting relativistic effects, but that doesn't bother us much. And what about QM effects? You won't get an inaccurate answer, provided you understand the nature and potential error of your idealized formulation.
I concur with this as well. If a model is "accurate enough" then it's serving its purpose. I wasn't speaking from a standpoint of analysis as much as a philosophical one...

So at what acceleration does the ball enter free fall? My TA said when the acceleration becomes negative. Maybe because at zero acceleration there is no net force?

tahayassen said:
So at what acceleration does the ball enter free fall? My TA said when the acceleration becomes negative. Maybe because at zero acceleration there is no net force?
Hmm, this goes to the heart of what Chestermiller said was "splitting hairs". An object is considered to be in free fall if no forces are acting on it beyond the "pseudo-force" of gravity. The point at which the acceleration on the ball is zero and immediately thereafter becomes negative would occur (in a non-idealized world) while the ball was still in contact with the hand. [To be clear here: this would be in the very last moments of contact with the hand, as the elasticity of the skin was a contributing factor]

At what acceleration does the ball enter free fall? That's easy: by definition, free fall occurs when only gravity is affecting it, and you already know that answer.

Last edited:

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting on it. In other words, it is the motion of an object when it is only affected by the force of gravity.

2. When does a ball enter free fall?

A ball enters free fall as soon as it is released or dropped from a height, and the only force acting on it is gravity. This typically occurs when the ball is thrown in the air, dropped from a height, or falls off a ledge.

3. What factors affect the time it takes for a ball to enter free fall?

The time it takes for a ball to enter free fall is affected by the height from which it is released, the initial velocity of the ball, and the presence of any other forces (such as air resistance) that may slow down the ball's descent.

4. How is the acceleration of a ball in free fall related to the force of gravity?

In free fall, the acceleration of an object is equal to the force of gravity. This is known as the acceleration due to gravity, and on Earth, it is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. Can a ball be in free fall on a flat surface?

No, a ball cannot be in free fall on a flat surface. In order for an object to be in free fall, it must be unobstructed and only affected by the force of gravity. A flat surface would prevent the ball from falling freely, as it would experience a normal force from the surface preventing its descent.