Any Feedback From Companies You've Applied To?

In summary: I have tried this a few times and it has always worked out.I think the reason most companies are not contacting people anymore is because they are inundated with applications.In summary, most companies are not contacting people anymore due to the amount of applications they are getting.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Recently I've sent out a few resumes + cover letters to companies that have openings listed on their web sites. These are small-ish local companies, with <200 employees. The first couple, I got nothing in response - nothing.

So this last one, after a week or so with no response, I sent a second email saying something like, "I'm still interested in the position, did you receive my resume? Please let me know if you've received it." And still I've heard nothing.

Is this the new normal?

It used to be that if you showed an interest, the company at least sent a "Thanks for your interest, we may be contacting you," or "Sorry, the position has been filled."

My question to anyone who has applied for a job lately: do you get any response at all? How often do you hear nothing?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't hear from them, try calling them 3 - 7 days after you send the resume.

I never get a response either. I always thought this was normal.

Yes, I also believe it is normal.
It's pretty easy to send an email on an add.
It's also pretty easy to ignore such an email.

I believe new jobs usually get created through connections (you know someone who recommends you).
Or otherwise you have to be really persistent (and qualified).

What I mean to say, is that there should be a personal stake to apply.
And another personal stake to either accept or reject that application.
Without both of those, it's just that: nothing (important) happens.

Last edited:
Locrian said:
If you don't hear from them, try calling them 3 - 7 days after you send the resume.

This is exactly what I do. An email is just too informal if you want a real answer, like someone else said an email can be easily ignored. I should confess though, that I'm a very aggressive job seeker and I can never just apply online and hope for an answer.

In the past, when I was looking for jobs I would see that a company had an opening online and I would then call the company directly. I wouldn't define this as cold-calling job seeking because I knew the company was hiring for a position. In many cases, this call turned directly into a phone interview. Then if I was successful, they were *waiting* for my resume in the email. Most people cringe at the thought of doing this but if you're good at it, it works heavily in your favor. If you want the job then go get it, don't sit around and wait for them to come to you...

When I was job hunting a few years back, I pretty much never received feedback from any of the companies I interviewed with/sent resumes to, and often phone calls would eventually end up with me transferred to an HR person, who would talk a lot but say nothing.

The only exceptions were two companies that gave feedback saying that they had decided to postpone the project they were hiring for, and that I should apply again in the future.

Maybe this is culture dependent - due to country or type of company, I don't know. I always got feedback after applying for a job. I would always call them before sending them my resume, which I would then send the same day. Then, within 2 days they would send me at least a confirmation or some other info. Usually within 2 weeks I would get either an invitation or a rejection.
One time I was calling to ask if a job opening still existed, and they asked if I could come for an interview right away.

But I have to admit that my jobs until now were very specialized and they all required a PhD in combustion.

bigfooted said:
I would always call them before sending them my resume,

That's an important variable. People just don't assign personhood to emails; it's just more spam. Even if they respond, they're reacting mechanically. Any kind of human contact changes the nature of the interaction.

I'm glad people have mentioned calling first.

1. How long does it typically take to receive feedback from a company after applying?

The timeline for receiving feedback from companies after applying can vary. Some companies may respond within a few weeks, while others may take several months. It is best to check the company's website or job listing for an estimated timeline for feedback.

2. What factors can influence the type of feedback I receive from a company?

The type of feedback you receive from a company can depend on various factors, such as the number of applicants, the current job market, and the company's hiring process. Additionally, the quality of your application and qualifications may also impact the feedback you receive.

3. Is it common to receive no feedback from a company after applying?

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to not receive any feedback from a company after applying. This can be due to a high volume of applicants, a slow hiring process, or the company's policy of only providing feedback to selected candidates. However, it is always worth following up with the company to inquire about the status of your application.

4. Can I request feedback from a company if I did not receive any?

Yes, you can request feedback from a company if you did not receive any after applying. It is best to do so in a polite and professional manner, expressing your interest in receiving feedback to improve your future job applications. However, companies are not obligated to provide feedback to all applicants.

5. How can I use the feedback from companies to improve my job search?

The feedback you receive from companies can be valuable in improving your job search. It can help you identify areas for improvement in your application, resume, or interview skills. Use this feedback to make necessary changes and adjustments to increase your chances of success in future job applications.