Solving PDEs: Deriving Wave Equation from u(x ± ct)

• Thread starter KenBakerMN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, to get from a function ##u(x,t)## to the wave equation, you need to differentiate both sides with respect to ##x## and ##t##, and then differentiate those two equations again to get ##u_{xx}(x,t)## and ##u_{tt}(x,t)##. The sign on the ##c## agrees for the two expressions.
KenBakerMN
It's been a little too long since I've has to do this. Can someone please remind me, how do you get from:

∂u/∂t = C(∂u/∂g)

to

∂^2u/∂t^2 = (C^2)(∂^2u/∂t^2)

The notation here is a little clumsy, but I'm just taking the second PDE of each side. How does the C^2 get there? Seems like it ought to be C but I can't put my finger on a proof either way.

By the way, this comes up in a derivation of the wave equation:

∂^2u/∂x^2 = (1/c^2)(∂^2u/∂t^2)

starting from

u(x,t) = u(x ± ct)

I'm sure someone out there knows this. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
KenBakerMN said:
It's been a little too long since I've has to do this. Can someone please remind me, how do you get from:

∂u/∂t = C(∂u/∂g)
Typo #1? g?
to

∂^2u/∂t^2 = (C^2)(∂^2u/∂t^2)
Typo # 2? Only one independent variable?

The notation here is a little clumsy, but I'm just taking the second PDE of each side. How does the C^2 get there? Seems like it ought to be C but I can't put my finger on a proof either way.

By the way, this comes up in a derivation of the wave equation:

∂^2u/∂x^2 = (1/c^2)(∂^2u/∂t^2)

starting from

u(x,t) = u(x ± ct)

I'm sure someone out there knows this. Thanks for your help.

So you are trying to show u(x,t) satisfies the wave equation? If so, that should be straightforward. Show us what you have done so far, starting at the beginning.

LCKurtz, thanks for the response. Alright, here goes.

Starting from a general function u(x - ct), define g=x - ct. [1]

So we have ∂u/∂x = (∂u/∂g)(∂g/∂x) and ∂u/∂t = (∂u/∂g)(∂g/∂t) . [2]

The PDEs from [1] are: ∂g/∂x = 1, and ∂g/∂t = - c . [3]

So from [2] and [3], ∂u/∂x = ∂u/∂g . [4]

The second PDE from [4] is ∂2u/∂x2 = ∂2u/∂g2, is that correct? [5]

Also from [2] and [3], ∂u/∂t = -c(∂u/∂g) . [6]

Now, to get from [5] and [6] to the wave equation ∂2u/∂x2 = (1/c2)(∂2u/∂t2)
seems to require, from [6], ∂2u/∂t2 = (c2)(∂2u/∂g2)

It's that last step I don't quite get, unless - which is by no means unlikely - I'm making an error someplace else. Seems like the c2 should just be c .

The context here is I'm an electrical engineer trying to understand the physics or ultrasound transmission through a waveguide. This derivation comes from "Basics of Biomedical Ultrasound for Engineers", Axhari, 2010.

KenBakerMN said:
LCKurtz, thanks for the response. Alright, here goes.

Starting from a general function u(x - ct), define g=x - ct. [1]

So we have ∂u/∂x = (∂u/∂g)(∂g/∂x) and ∂u/∂t = (∂u/∂g)(∂g/∂t) . [2]
I think the notation is giving you problems. You are trying to show that for any differentiable function ##g##, the function ##u(x,t)=g(x\pm ct)## satisfies the wave equation ##u_{tt}=c^2u_{xx}##. Note that ##g## has a single argument. So when you differentiate both sides of with respect to ##x## you would get ##u_x(x,t) = g'(x\pm ct)\cdot 1##, and when you differentiate both sides with respect to ##t## you get ##u_t(x,t) = g'(x\pm ct)\cdot (\pm c)## with the sign on the ##c## agreeing. What you want to do next is differentiate these two equations again to get ##u_{xx}(x,t)## and ##u_{tt}(x,t)##. Then just look at those two expressions and see if they work. I think you will see where the ##c^2## comes from.

Okay, I get it now. I needed to carry out the second PDEs one more step and "chain rule" it. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function with respect to multiple independent variables. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a type of PDE that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound or light waves. It relates the second partial derivatives of a function representing the wave to its spatial and temporal coordinates.

3. How is the wave equation derived from u(x ± ct)?

The wave equation can be derived from u(x ± ct) by considering a one-dimensional wave propagating in the x-direction with a constant speed of c. By taking the second derivative with respect to both space and time, and equating it to the wave's velocity squared, we obtain the wave equation.

4. What is the significance of u(x ± ct) in the wave equation?

The function u(x ± ct) represents the shape of the wave at a given time t. It is a solution to the wave equation and describes how the wave evolves as it propagates through space and time.

5. Can the wave equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the wave equation can be solved analytically using various methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Laplace transforms. However, for more complex situations, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution.