Spreading of a pulse as it propagates in a dispersive medium

In summary, the conversation discussed studying the spreading of a pulse in a dispersive medium and solving an expression related to it. The formula for a 1-dimensional pulse and its initial values were considered, and it was shown that A(k) can be expressed in terms of these initial values. The initial shape of the pulse was a Gaussian modulated oscillation, and the expression for A(k) was simplified using a trick to write cos(k0x) as Re(eik0x). The conversation then moved on to discussing how to solve the integral for A(k) in the expression for u(x,t). This was solved by completing the square and using a simple Gaussian integral. The conversation concluded with the problem being solved and thanks being given.
Aguss
Hello everyone!
I am studying the spreading of a pulse as it propagates in a dispersive medium, from a well known book. My problem arise when i have to solve an expression.

Firstly i begin considering that a 1-dim pulse can be written as:

u(x,t) = 1/2*1/√2∏* ∫A(k)*exp(ikx-iw(k)t) dk + cc (complex conjugate)

and then i showed that A(k) can be express in terms of the initial values of the problem, taking into account that w(k)=w(-k) (isotropic medium):

A(k) = 1/√2∏ ∫ exp(-ikx) * (u(x,0) + i/w(k) * du/dt (x,0)) dx

I considered du/dt(x,0)=0 which means that the problems involves 2 pulses with the same amplitud and velocity but oposite directions.
So A(k) takes the form:

A(k) = 1/√2∏ ∫ exp(-ikx) * u(x,0)

Now i take a Gaussian modulated oscilattion as the initial shape of the pulse:

u(x,0) = exp(-x^2/2L^2) cos(ko x)

Then the book says that we can easily reach to the expression:

A(k) = 1/√2∏ ∫ exp(-ikx) exp(-x^2/2L^2) cos (ko x) dx

= L/2 (exp(-(L^2/2) (k-ko)^2) + exp(-(L^2/2) (k+ko)^2)

How did he reach to this?? How can i solve this last integral?

Then, with the expression of A(k) into u(x,t) arise other problem. How can i solve this other integral.

Thank you very much for helping me!

Physics news on Phys.org
that is a trick.you have to write cos(k0x) as Re(eik0x),you will get only exponentials then you will have to complete the square in powers of exponentials and use of a simple gaussian integral.
0 e(-x2)dx=√∏/2

Thank you so much! I could solve it! It wasnt too hard after all :) thanks again.

1. What is a dispersive medium?

A dispersive medium is a type of material or substance that causes a wave or pulse to spread out or change shape as it propagates through it. This is due to the varying speeds at which different wavelengths of the wave travel through the medium.

2. How does a dispersive medium affect the spreading of a pulse?

A dispersive medium causes the pulse to spread out and become distorted as it travels through the medium. This is because different wavelengths of the pulse travel at different speeds, causing them to arrive at different times and creating a broader and more complex shape.

3. What factors can influence the amount of spreading in a dispersive medium?

The amount of spreading in a dispersive medium can be influenced by several factors, including the type of medium (solid, liquid, gas), the properties of the medium (density, elasticity, etc.), and the frequency or wavelength of the pulse.

4. How is the spreading of a pulse in a dispersive medium measured?

The spreading of a pulse in a dispersive medium can be measured by calculating the pulse's dispersion relation, which describes the relationship between the pulse's frequency and its wavelength. This can be done using mathematical equations such as the dispersion relation for electromagnetic waves, or by conducting experiments and analyzing the resulting data.

5. Can the spreading of a pulse in a dispersive medium be controlled?

Yes, the spreading of a pulse in a dispersive medium can be controlled to some extent by manipulating the properties of the medium or by using special materials that minimize dispersion. However, complete control over the spreading of a pulse in a dispersive medium is often difficult to achieve due to the inherent nature of dispersion in these types of materials.