What's Happening in the Night Sky? Upcoming Astronomy Events to Look Out For!

In summary: Jupiter: Last night the sky was overcast, but Jupiter still shown through the clouds. (At least by Notre Dame.) Amazing.Mars: For neat and detailed stuff, you can go to JPL's calendar and click on the month of your choice.Saturn: Phobos: Do you mean ANY sky watch? There's one here in Sacramento, I think. It's supposed to be every last Friday of the month. Star parties are ok to list here too. In general, I meant things like letting everyone know about upcoming astronomical events (like, events in the sky). For example, you amateur astronomers

I just checked and I seem to have misplaced my welders' glass. May have to go buy another...

Astronomy news on Phys.org

finally got my camera and solar filter mated to the scope, now all I need is for this contineous rain to disappear.

Transit starts, here in Sydney, at 08:09 eastern Australia time (local time) ~ 1 hour after sunrise and goes through to ~ 14:44 hrs local time

cheers
Dave

It's here! Just snapped a photo of it through my homemade Carton 60mm f16.7. I used a Scopetronix Maxview 40mm eyepiece equipped with a Baader Contrast Booster filter attached to my Sony F717. 1/1000 sec a f8 afocally with Baader Solar Film. Levels, resizing, unsharp mask using Photoshop 7.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5270/venustransit002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:

Great. I've been looking forward to seeing this for the past week, but it began to rain before it got here, so I can't see it. Good thing I've got this.

nice pic chemistree

well done, its just coming to an end here in eastern Australia and I missed 3rd and 4th contacts the weather finally totally crapped out

Dave

I took some photos but put them in the Astrophotography thread, nice photo chemisttree.

I got some pictures last time around. Lucky because the viz was rubbish this morning. This time, everyone seems to have made much more of it. I guess it has more public relevance in the light of extra-solar planet hunting interest.

Hi, this is a photo from Hungary (Fényi Gyula Observatory, Miskolc), between the third and fourth contact of the Venus transit.
MEADE APO EMC 152/1370 with Baader solar filter + CANON EOS 1000D 1/1250 exposure time with ISO200.

It was quite cloudy, but finally we managed to see the end of the transit with the schoolboys here.

Attachments

• NapVenusz_20120606_044150_FenyiCsillag.JPG
    NapVenusz_20120606_044150_FenyiCsillag.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 483

The annual perseids meteor shower is coming up real fast the weekend of the 11 and 12 of August. The shower is known for good high counts of meteors 60+ per hour and often leaving persistent several second and occassionally "smokey" trailscheers
Dave

What is the right ascension of the Sun on September 21

Hi bertthebasher
welcome to PF

Download a planetarium program called stellarium and use it to work it out :)
its free and relatively easy to use

Dave

well the Cairns total eclipse has been and gone this morning 14 Nov
some saw it some didnt. Being a tropics region of Australia, the weather on the day was always going to be the deciding factor. And as it turned out just being in the right spot at the right time paid off.

see the astro photo section for some of my pics

cheers
Dave

Comet chasing

Greetings all
Happy New Year

Dont know how many on here are into comet hunting and viewing in general

This site I found a few months back is awesome for keeping up with the latest visible comets
going from top of page downwards it list comets in ascending order of faintness ... ie. faintest ones at the bottom and it gives an indication of what instrument will be needed to see that particular comet.
It also gives a link to a section of a skymap finder chart for that comet

last nite I managed, for the first time, to spy C/2012 K5 (LINEAR): An evening comet visible in binoculars. it was ~ 20-30 deg above my nthrn horizon and just visible as a fuzzy blob in my 7x50 bino's. The sky was quite bright towards the horizon, the joys of doing astronomy in a large city.
Tonite I will get the scope out and have a better view :) It will be higher up as it moves through Taurus over the next few days.

Cheers
Dave

Cheers Dave. It's great for us 'fringe' astronomers to be made aware of this stuff. One day, when the viz is OK and you tell me something, I'll be able to see it and be 'right chuffed'
BTW, HNY 2U2

you're welcome :)

I am plannig a trip to the USA for the 2017 total eclipse :) you should definitely be able to see that event ;)

Dave

wow mag 18.8 when discovered, a really faint little sucker LOL

will be interesting to keep an eye on the SOHO images around the time it rounds the sun
with any luck it will show up on a few of those images, as a lot of sungrazers do

Dave

davenn said:
...last nite I managed, for the first time, to spy C/2012 K5 (LINEAR): An evening comet visible in binoculars. it was ~ 20-30 deg above my nthrn horizon and just visible as a fuzzy blob in my 7x50 bino's. The sky was quite bright towards the horizon, the joys of doing astronomy in a large city.
Tonite I will get the scope out and have a better view :) It will be higher up as it moves through Taurus over the next few days.

Cheers
Dave

After taking the telescope out the following nite, fri 4th Jan, I discovered that I hadnt seen the comet in the binoculars, rather, the fuzzy blob I saw was M37 a faint compact open star cluster ( that almost sounds a contradiction huh ?!)
the cluster was easily resolvable in the scope but not in the 7x50 bino's.
After a couple of hours of searching I finally found the fuzzy blob that is the comet abd the star map confirned that there are no other fuzzies in that area YES Success!

The comet is NOT visible in the binoculars and I would have estimated its magnitude to be ~ 9 - 10th

cheers
Dave

What is the probability of DA14 hitting Earth? Some sources, i.e: www.inquisitr.com says the risk is as high as 2.7%, but I'm told that this is exaggerated and the number is closer to 0.0000036%, and that number is even for 2080. I was given this NASA impact assessment but 2013 doesn't seem to figure. Can anyone tell me?

TIA.

EDIT: Oh it actually says 0% chance in that article in the previous post. Never mind :)
EDIT: And it DOES figure: 3.6e-08%! Well that is as close to 0 as makes no difference! :)

Got confused there! :)

April 21, 22 - Lyrids Meteor Shower. The Lyrids is an average shower, usually producing about 20 meteors per hour at its peak. It is produced by dust particles left behind by comet C/1861 G1 Thatcher, which was discovered in 1861. The shower runs annually from April 16-25. It peaks this year on the night of the night of the 21st and morning of the 22nd. These meteors can sometimes produce bright dust trails that last for several seconds. The nearly full moon will be a problem this year, blocking out all but the brightest meteors. Best viewing will be from a dark location after midnight. Meteors will radiate from the constellation Lyra, but can appear anywhere in the sky.

April 25 - Partial Lunar Eclipse. A partial lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes through the Earth's partial shadow, or penumbra, and only a portion of it passes through the darkest shadow, or umbra. During this type of eclipse a part of the Moon will darken as it moves through the Earth's shadow. The eclipse will be visible throughout most of Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Thanks for the reminder, Greg ... I had almost forgotten about that one coming up.
here's a link to a PDF page for all the info :)

cheers
Dave

for those in Alaska, nthrn North America, Scandinavia
in southern New Zealand and southern Australia...

an aurora alert has been posted ... get your cameras ready :)

A Coronal Mass Ejection is expected to impact the Earth within the next 24 - 48 hours, possibly resulting in significant space weather activity and visible auroras at higher latitudes (eg Tasmania) during
local nighttime hours. The projected CME arrival time is for late Sunday (19-May). Alerts will follow should favourable space weather activity eventuate.

Australian Space Forecast Centre
IPS Radio and Space Services
Bureau of Meteorology

regards
Dave

Hey, my thread is still here...10 years later! Thanks for keeping this (and PF) going everyone!

new super nova for those with a good scope and a dark location...

An exploding star in M74 in Pisces, discovered July 25th, had brightened to about magnitude 12.3 by Thursday morning August 1st. It may not have peaked yet. And the Moon is now out of the way.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/Supernova-Erupts-in-Messier-74-217327171.html

cheers
Dave

A 10-year old thread? and still going.. great!

Predawn Saudi Arabian eastern sky is fabulous this time of the year. Though it's light polluted in my location I can see the winter triangle of Betelgeuse of Orion, Sirius of Canis Major and Procyon of Canis Minor. There is also another triangle asterism though I know it's temporary because the planet Jupiter is one of its vertices. Planet Jupiter makes a triangle with Aldebaran of Taurus and Capella of Auriga with Elnath at the center of the triangle and it looks like the star of Mercedes Benz to me. Can you see it in your part of the world?

When it comes to Mercedes Benz there is a nice and stable asterism - εBoo being the center point with αBoo, γBoo and αCrB around. Pretty well visible and easy to locate - Big Dipper points to these stars. I think in the northern hemisphere it is visible all year around.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the tip, I've seen the chart yes it's a Mercedes Benz star asterism. I hope to see it tonight despite the light pollution coming from the oil refineries, must be easy to find since I could see the Big Dipper and following its arc tail will lead me to Arcturus.

I saw the star of Mercedes Benz in the northwest sky minutes ago, but the light pollution ruined the otherwise pretty sight, αCrB is not so bright.

I also saw planet Venus low in the western horizon, and Saturn above it to the left. The summer triangle asterism is overhead... and Sagittarius is at the southern sky which doesn't look like an archer but rather a teapot pouring at the scorpion's tail. The Scorpion looks like it's gawking at Saturn and its Antares heart is red. I should acquire at least a binoculars to see the 13th zodiac Ophiuchus, they say I could see it above the Antares heart of the Scorpion.

With naked eyes I've seen it this morning before dawn, the alignment of Jupiter, Mars, and Regulus. And more, there's a star in the southern sky that twinkles mad flashing red, blue, and orange... that must be Canopus.

I guess this thread is as good as any...for all those in the Perth region of Western Australia

http://www.icrar.org/news/astrofest-2014

well worth a visit.